An interview with Peter Johnston & Matt Breuer. Peter is the founder & CEO of new professional social network Polywork. Matt joined as Product Director and employee #9. They talk about the vision for Polywork, the pain points it was designed to overcome, the way they're building it as a team, and how to avoid HIPPO syndrome.
We speak about a lot, including:
- The motivations behind Polywork, how it differs from other professional networking sites, and how they aim to "go beyond the job title"
- The personal pain points and collaboration issues that started the idea of Polywork and how it's more than just a reaction to LinkedIn
- How the dynamics work between a senior product professional & a vision-driven founder in an early stage startup and the importance of disagreeing but committing as a team
- How to manage upwards as a product leader, and tackle HIPPO disagreements by doing the product management work to validate your arguments
- The discovery work they did up front to turn the initial vision into a tangible product and the importance of thinking about the fundamental job to be done
- Whether they are worried about being a lockdown flash in the pan and suffering a collapse in user numbers post-pandemic
- The importance of maintaining focus for startups, not trying to chase every opportunity that looks good and how Peter learned this the hard way at a previous startup
And much more!
Check out Polywork
If you don't have a Polywork account already you can sign up using this VIP link and check it out.
Contact Matt & Peter
You can contact Matt at Polywork and Peter either on Polywork or Twitter.