An interview with Anna Curzon. Anna is the Chief Product Officer at Xero, with long experience in business strategy & digital transformation. She's also a member of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation Business Advisory Council, appointed by New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern. Anna is passionate about creating a good working culture, and driving for diverse teams and working practices to support that goal.
We speak about a lot, including:
- The origin story of Xero, how it came from the founder having a problem he couldn't solve, and how he started a company to solve it
- How they had to fire themselves as Xero users as they scaled out of their own target market, and how they stay in touch with customers
- How she moved from her career in banking into disruptive tech and how she was always "the freak in the phone book"
- The parallels between her original passion for anthropology & understanding humans has translated into her day-to-day work
- How she developed a passion for product management & how she approached her move into a CPO job without any direct product management experience
- Whether she had any pushback when taking over a team of product managers, and the approaches she's taken to be seen as just one of the team
- The importance of diversity on the teams and why people should be able to bring their true selves to work
- How they've managed to keep the Xero culture going and nurture it through massive scaling and acquisitions
And much more!
You can contact Anna on Twitter or LinkedIn.