An interview with Hubert Palan. Hubert is the founder and CEO of Productboard, a company that aims to put the customer at the heart of the product development process and help companies across the globe build truly excellent products.
We talk about a lot, including:
- What Productboard does, how it differs from other platforms & how it tries to bring customers to the heart of product development
- How his studies & early product career made him realise how difficult it was to have evidence-based discussions with stakeholders, and how this led him to create Productboard
- How he still maintains strong ties to the Czech Republic, and how Productboard took advantage of being a big fish in a small pond there
- What it was like studying under Steve Blank, the inspiration for the Lean Startup, and some of the lessons Hubert learned there
- Whether his MBA helped him become an effective product manager or whether he had a lot to learn after graduating
- Some of his problems with Marty Cagan's recent article about MBAs, and why he thinks Marty got it wrong
- Some of the mistakes that product teams are making when making product development decisions, and how companies need to build up their product muscles
- How some founders stumble into product/market fit and why the Lean Startup is partly to blame
- Why founders are overrated, and how to step away from thinking you know it all & letting the company run without your input
- How to try to build a diverse & inclusive company, and some of the challenges that Productboard have faced
And much more!
You can check out the Productboard website or connect with Hubert on LinkedIn or Twitter.