Tapering, periodisation and recovery with Iñigo Mujika, PhD | EP#256
Iñigo Mujika is a sports physiologist, associate professor at the University of Basque Country, and an elite triathlon and swimming coach. His research areas include topics such as tapering, recovery, detraining and overtraining. Through all of his coaching and applied physiology work, Iñigo is extremely knowledgeable in how to transfer his scientific knowledge into practical and actionable training and planning insights.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU'LL LEARN ABOUT:
-Periodisation in practice: linear, reverse, block... who might benefit from what type of periodisation and when?
-How to structure recovery from a macro level (taking a season break) to a micro level (time required between hard sessions) into your training plan
-Tapering: best practices, scientific findings, potential benefits, and how to factor in individuality
-The time course of building and losing fitness (gaining adaptations vs. detraining)
SCIENTIFIC TRIATHLON AND THAT TRIATHLON SHOW WEBPAGE:
Precision Hydration - One-size doesn't fit all when it comes to hydration. Take Precision Hydration's FREE sweat test and learn how you should hydrate. Use the discount code THATTRIATHLONSHOW15 to get 15% off your order OR use the code THATTRIATHLONSHOW and get your first box for free.
ROKA - The finest triathlon wetsuits, apparel, equipment, and eyewear on the planet. Trusted by Javier Gómez, Gwen Jorgensen, Flora Duffy, Mario Mola, Lucy Charles and others. Visit roka.com/tts for 20% off your order.
LINKS AND RESOURCES:
* Iñigo's website
* Iñigo's Twitter and Researchgate profiles
* Iñigo's books (Endurance Training – Science and Practice, Endurance Training – Infographic Edition, Tapering and Peaking for Optimal Performance, Recovery for Performance in Sport)
* An Integrated, Multifactorial Approach to Periodization for Optimal Performance in Individual and Team Sports (Mujika et al. 2018)
* Effects of Tapering on Performance (Bosquet, Mujika et al. 2007)
* Tapering for competition: A review (Le Meur, Mujika, Hausswirth 2012)
* Tapering for triathlon competition (Mujika 2011)
RATE AND REVIEW:
If you enjoy the show, please help me out by subscribing, rating and reviewing: www.scientifictriathlon.com/rate/
Want to send feedback, questions or just chat? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or connect on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter.