The goals that you set for yourself are far more likely to be achieved if you also know what your intentions are. Intentions and goals work hand in hand but they are not the same thing. Today, we are going to discuss the characteristics of goals and intentions and how both are necessary to help you get what you want most. Whether it’s winning a court case, earning a promotion, or getting a divorce, your intentions guide your actions as you work toward your goals. My actions in the courtroom and in my personal life have varied widely based on my intentions, but in every case I have seen this truth — when your goals are firmly grounded by your intentions, the sky’s the limit to what you can achieve.
Today we discuss —
Three characteristics of goals
- Goals are defined as something that you want to reach in the future.
- Goals are easily measurable by other people.
- Goals have an end point — data will prove whether you have met a goal or not.
Three characteristics of intentions
- Intentions are something that you have and are aware of right now.
- Intentions can only be measured by you — only you know if you have done your best.
- Intentions focus on stretching and reaching for your purpose today.
Reaching for goals while honoring intentions
- It’s imperative that you know what your intentions are as you reach for your goals.
- Your intentions will dictate your actions as you work toward your goals.
- Ask yourself — what do I want to accomplish in the process of working toward this goal?
- SMART goals can also help you define your intentions along the way.
- Combining your goals with your intentions will give you unlimited possibilities in what you can achieve.
Advocate to Win
The Elegant Warrior Playlist on Spotify
Free One-Hour Consult
Advocate for Yourself 10-Week Course
Subscribe to Weekly Newsletters
The Elegant Warrior: How To Win Life’s Trials Without Losing Yourself, by Heather Hansen
Zen Bender: A Decade-Long Enthusiastic Quest to Fix Everything (That Was Never Broken), by Stephanie Krikorian
Brought to You By: