Now What
Now What
Jul 25, 2020
21 Flint, M.I - Money & Politics Over The People
Play • 13 min

Host: Diane Gil

Co-Host: Antonio Moore

Episode Introduction: In today’s episode of the Now What podcast, Diane and her co host KeKey Hussein talk about the water crisis in Flint, Michigan. A real life example of what can happen in any community who loses their voice, and when local leaders fail to act in the best interest of the citizens. 


This episode is a reminder to our listeners to empower yourself to be informed on (elected and appointed) local and state officials, and the authority they have to impact your daily life.

Episode Summary:

The discussion revolves around the lead contamination in drinking water in the city of Flint, Michigan. The crisis began back in 2014 under the presidentship of Barack Obama and still remains unsolved in President Trump’s period. The crisis is traced back to its origin and resources to help are discussed. 

Notable Facts & Statistics:

  • 85% of the land pipes have been replaced in the city of Flint, Michigan. The work for replacing the remaining 15% is stuck due to Covid 19.

  • Over 12,000 children are exposed to high lead damage in Flint, Michigan.

  • Lead contaminated water affects the mental and physical development of children.

  • It also results in mental diseases, premature delivery, increase in infant mortality rates, reduced sperm count and other diseases.


Residents in need of a water filter or filter cartridge should Call for CORE at 810-238-6700

City of Flint: (810) 410-1134

Genesee County Recycling Hotline: (810) 762-7744

Keep Genesee County Beautiful: (810) 767-9696

Republic Services: (800) 438-0966


Additional information can be found at:

Listen to other episodes: https:// us/podcast/now-what/ id1439125172 


Rate and leave a review on iTunes, it helps more people discover us and stay connected with things that matter. 

Tell us what you want to hear, and where you're listening from by completing this brief survey:





Instagram/Twitter: @dianegil_cwc 

Join us at:

YouTube: Cultivate With Courage 


This episode was executive produced by: LG Media

Episode show notes by: Tanishka Kherajani

More episodes
Clear search
Close search
Google apps
Main menu