Are you ready to have your best year ever? If so, I have two things that we should all cancel to have the best 2022 possible. This is the time of year when a lot of us start focusing on goals and plans for the upcoming year. Is it finally time to lose that extra weight or follow through with those workout goals? Do you want to make big career changes or earn more money? Are these some of the goals and plans you had for last year, but life got in the way, and the important things were never finished or even started?
I’m going to talk about two things that many of us do to stall our progress. I’m also going to talk about why these two things are so detrimental. I’m also going to share three affirmations that can help you overcome pitfall number one. I’m also going to share three important questions that will help us get over those mental hurdles. I’m also going to share three questions that will help us get past the second thing that we all need to cancel in 2022. We are going to practice envisioning what life would be like without these roadblocks. We are going to look at what life would be like when we are confident, dangerous women who are doing what we were meant to do.
- [00:02:33] It’s time to stop saying yes when we want to say no. It’s time to stop people-pleasing. It’s not selfish to put your needs first.
- [00:03:32] You are not responsible for other people's feelings. Changing your actions to make other people happy reinforces the belief that you are the cause of their unhappiness.
- [00:04:29] People pleasing will burn you out. Trying to make everyone else happy creates exhaustion and frustration.
- [00:06:07] Resentment comes when you continually deny yourself and put your needs on the back burner. You've relegated your entire future to someone else's needs.
- [00:07:45] Don't neglect and abandon yourself. Don't put yourself last in every scenario. You have to fill your cup first before you can fill the cup of another person.
- [00:08:04] It's completely normal for us to want to make other people happy. It's time to start acknowledging our own worth. If you are here there is a purpose for that. That alone makes you worthy.
- [00:09:23] Acknowledging your own worth can be the most difficult step for some people, but it’s time to start.
- [00:10:29] Affirmations for self-worth: 1. My needs matter. They are just as important as everyone else's. 2. I am allowed to and deserve to be able to express my truth and my feelings without fear of repercussion. 3. I am worthy just as I am.
- [00:11:26] Ask yourself: 1. By saying yes to this, what am I saying no to? 2. Am I basing my answer on how I think they will respond? 3. If I were to be true to myself, what would I say?
- [00:12:38] Consider how often you say yes when you really want to say no. What would you say if you were really true to yourself?
- [00:12:51] The second thing we are going to be canceling in 2022 is avoiding change because of fear. When we start doing things differently our brains send out signals that there is danger ahead.
- [00:13:41] Changing requires a stretch. It requires our brains to think in new, sometimes uncomfortable ways.
- [00:14:42] With uncertainty comes a loss of control. We don't like not being in control. We also avoid change because of fear of failure and fear of rejection.
- [00:15:43] The way we think of failure is what makes it so bad. If we think something terrible is going to happen if we fail, we will beat ourselves up and be afraid to try.
- [00:16:39] Ask yourself: 1. If I weren't afraid, would I still do this? 2. What is the worst thing that could happen? 3. So what?
- [00:21:42] What would your life look like if you canceled people-pleasing and avoiding change in 2022? Really think about this question and journal about it.
Links and Resources: