To quote Donald Rumsfeld, “there are things we know we know…. we know there are some things we do not know... But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know…it is the latter category that tends to be the difficult ones.”
In neurology, the agnosias are not that dissimilar from Rumsfeld’s 'unknown unknowns.' In this week’s program, we discuss the nosology and nomenclature for the agnosias, the localization, and the importance of recognizing one.
Produced by James E. Siegler. Music courtesy of Dr. Turtle, Grossman, Ewell and Grainger, Marco Trovatelli, and Purple Planet Music. The opening theme was composed by Jimothy Dalton. Sound effects by Mike Koenig and Daniel Simion. Unless otherwise mentioned in the podcast, no competing financial interests exist in the content of this episode. BrainWaves' podcasts and online content are intended for medical education only and should not be used for clinical decision making. Be sure to follow us on Twitter @brainwavesaudio for the latest updates to the podcast.
* Milner AD, Perrett DI, Johnston RS, Benson PJ, Jordan TR, Heeley DW, Bettucci D, Mortara F, Mutani R, Terazzi E and et al. Perception and action in 'visual form agnosia'. Brain. 1991;114 ( Pt 1B):405-28.
* Zeki S and Ffytche DH. The Riddoch syndrome: insights into the neurobiology of conscious vision. Brain. 1998;121 ( Pt 1):25-45.
* Biran I and Coslett HB. Visual agnosia. Current neurology and neuroscience reports. 2003;3:508-12.
* Coslett HB. Apraxia, Neglect, and Agnosia. Continuum (Minneap Minn). 2018;24:768-782.
* Dhont S, Derom E, Van Braeckel E, Depuydt P and Lambrecht BN. The pathophysiology of 'happy' hypoxemia in COVID-19. Respir Res. 2020;21:198.
* Li YC, Bai WZ and Hashikawa T. The neuroinvasive potential of SARS-CoV2 may play a role in the respiratory failure of COVID-19 patients. J Med Virol. 2020;92:552-555.
* Matschke J, Lutgehetmann M, Hagel C, Sperhake JP, Schroder AS, Edler C, Mushumba H, Fitzek A, Allweiss L, Dandri M, Dottermusch M, Heinemann A, Pfefferle S, Schwabenland M, Sumner Magruder D, Bonn S, Prinz M, Gerloff C, Puschel K, Krasemann S, Aepfelbacher M and Glatzel M. Neuropathology of patients with COVID-19 in Germany: a post-mortem case series. The Lancet Neurology. 2020;19:919-929.