COVID-19 Miniseries Episode 66: Monoclonal Antibody Treatment for COVID-19
Guest: Ravindra Ganesh, M.B.B.S., M.D. and Raymund R. Razonable, M.D.
Host: Amit K. Ghosh, M.D. (@AmitGhosh006)
In this episode, Ravindra Ganesh, M.B.B.S., M.D. and Raymund R. Razonable, M.D. join Amit K. Ghosh, M.D. to review the use of monoclonal antibody as a new antiviral agent in the treatment of COVID-19 infection.
Who is most likely to benefit from monoclonal antibody infusions? Drs. Ganesh and Razonable, discuss recent studies on monoclonal antibody infusions in patients with mild to moderate COVID-19 infections. Also discussed are the logistical challenges faced and the innovative solutions that were implemented while administering this therapy, particularly navigating the acceptance of treatment, its real and perceived side effects, and lack of awareness due to inequity and poverty. Research on the development of subcutaneous or intramuscular administration for prophylaxis against COVID-19 in patients at high risk for complications or at high risk for being exposed to SARS-CoV-2 is also discussed in this episode.
* AskMayoExpert COVID-19 Navigator: https://askmayoexpert.mayoclinic.org/navigator/COVID-19
* Weinreich DM, Sivapalasingam S, Norton T, et al. REGN-COV2, a neutralizing antibody cocktail, in outpatients with Covid-19. N Engl J Med 2021;384:238-251.
* Chen P, Nirula A, Heller B, et al. SARS-CoV-2 neutralizing antibody LY-CoV555 in outpatients with Covid-19. N Engl J Med 2021;384:229-237.
* Gottlieb RL, Nirula A, Chen P, et al. Effect of Bamlanivimab as Monotherapy or in Combination With Etesevimab on Viral Load in Patients With Mild to Moderate COVID-19: A Randomized Clinical Trial.JAMA. Published online January 21, 2021. doi:10.1001/jama.2021.0202
* An EUA for Bamlanivimab—A Monoclonal Antibody for COVID-19. JAMA. Published online December 11, 2020. doi:10.1001/jama.2020.24415
* Monoclonal Antibodies: Update on this COVID-19 Experimental Therapy https://discoverysedge.mayo.edu/2021/02/17/monoclonal-antibodies-update-on-this-covid-19-experimental-therapy/
Connect with the Mayo Clinic’s School of Continuous Professional Development online at https://ce.mayo.edu/ or on Twitter @MayoMedEd.