“A Little Bit Of Blur” In Your Life ( Breather Episode with Brad)
*This show is inspired by my interview with EndMyopia.org founder Jake Steiner, published on Nov 3, 2020. I was so inspired by Jake’s message that I ditched my glasses cold turkey after our interview, which took place on August 25, 2020. Five months down the road, I wanted to provide an update and give you some practical tips to start down the road of improving your vision naturally.*
As Jake explained when he was on the podcast, not only did he cure himself from his own case of extreme myopia, he was able to do so entirely naturally. His recommended three steps for correcting vision are as follows: a little bit of blur, taking baby steps, and quantifying your results.
Like I said, I personally went the cold turkey route when I ditched my computer glasses following recording my show with Jake back in August 2020. Going cold turkey was not necessarily the ideal strategy, but it’s actually been a revelation for me. If you want to learn about Jake’s movement and the scientific rationale to second guess the entire premise of lifelong dependency on reading glasses, listen to the episode ( https://www.bradkearns.com/2020/11/03/jake-steiner-rethinking-the-world-of-prescription-eyewear/ ).
Jake offers a compelling premise: “Eyes are just fine” but are being traumatized by focusing on a near object for long periods of time. Computer screens, while not great, are actually better than the small(er) devices, which you look at from a much closer view. And this is happening because you are putting your ciliary muscle into spasm with extended focus on a close screen. Pseudo myopia is also not the same thing as real myopia, which is why it’s important to relax eye muscles by looking at distant objects. Putting on prescription glasses is like a crutch; you are putting the muscle in a constant contraction, so it atrophies.
If you are game for a challenge and a path to improved vision, here’s how to play. Luke Storey, host of the Life Stylist podcast, is also going to manifest this shit!
*1. Strive for a Lil Bit of Blur:* In my case, my correction is minimal. I just increase the zoom size on the screen and it looks fine.
*2. Take baby steps:* Don’t make it too tough for yourself! I went cold turkey for a while, but now, I reach for my glasses when: I’m tired, it’s the evening, or there’s poor lighting.
*3. Quantify:* Place an eye chart on the wall and tape on the ground. Or, try out Jake’s awesome app Meow-sure ( https://endmyopia.org/updated-smartphone-eye-measuring-apps-log-tools/ ) and get a baseline cm or diopter score for your eyesight. Do tests in the exact same lighting conditions to get correct baselines. Then, after testing after a long outdoor hike, test after three hours of looking at a screen, and you can see how you make your eyes WORSE quickly! When it’s real, it’s a real mindblower.
*4. Take long breaks.* Short breaks are okay, but the 1-2 minute recovery is not long enough to get out of spasm. It’s better to go for long work periods if necessary, and then take a 30 minute break focusing on distant objects.
Hopefully this show encourages you to strive for a little bit of blur and keep challenging your eyes, however, don’t go overboard because you will risk giving up because it’s too tough (like extreme exercise). I bought a book years ago about improving your vision without glasses that claimed ‘In just 40 minutes a day of eye exercises,’ you can improve your vision. It’s also extremely important to note that too much blur can mess with the brain to the point where it becomes your new normal, and the brain forgets what true clarity is like. And, amazingly, the visual cortex fixes even astigmatism (misshapen lens).
With a little bit of blur, you can strive to improve by a 1/4 diopter in 3-4 months. So far, I’m at 4 months. My eyes are at R 0.5 and L 2.5 (yes, I have monovision; the doctor always reminds me, “Brad, people pay me big money to have your eyesight!). I’m looking forward to checking in a year from now, as my right eye should not need a prescription by then.
If you are tired of wearing glasses, listen to these ideas. [01:34]
Increase the zoom size on your computer screen or change your prescription. [04:25]
Brad describes a good way to test your eyesight at home. [07:38]
Most of the time, damage to the eyesight is because of our behaviors rather than a fixed medical diagnosis. [09:31]
People don’t realize that if you wear glasses, it affects your posture, how you walk, and how you look, and your social behavior. [11:14]
Strive for a bit of blur and take baby steps as you try this experiment. [14:02]
* Brad Kearns.com ( https://www.bradkearns.com/ )
* Brad’s Shopping Page ( http://www.bradkearns.com/shop/ )
* Jake Steiner Podcast ( https://www.bradkearns.com/2020/11/03/jake-steiner-rethinking-the-world-of-prescription-eyewear/ )
* End Myopia.org ( https://endmyopia.org/ )
* Meow-sure ( https://endmyopia.org/updated-smartphone-eye-measuring-apps-log-tools/ )
* “People don’t realize that if you wear glasses it affects your posture, it affects how you walk, how you look, your social behavior, it’s an extremely integral part of our existence. and bad eyesight has been associated with things like depression, anxiety, and inhibited physical performance.” - Jake Steiner
* Join Brad for more fun on:*
Instagram: @bradkearns1 ( https://www.instagram.com/bradkearns1/ )
Facebook: @bradkearnsjumphigh ( https://www.facebook.com/bradkearnsjumphigh )
Twitter: @bradleykearns ( https://twitter.com/bradleykearns )
YouTube: @BradKearns ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4XXEoULD0AiiuPHdRw-Efg )
We appreciate all feedback, and questions for Q&A shows, emailed to email@example.com. If you have a moment, please share an episode you like with a quick text message, or leave a review on your podcast app. Thank you!
Check out each of these companies because they are absolutely awesome or they wouldn’t occupy this revered space. Seriously, Brad won’t sell out to anyone if he doesn’t love the product. Ask anyone.
* Almost Heaven Sauna ( http://almostheaven.com/ ) : Affordable at-home sauna kits for the ultimate relaxation and hormonal boost on demand
* Brad’s Macadamia Masterpiece: ( http://bradventures.com/ ) Mind-blowing, life-changing nut butter blend
* CAR.O.L bike: ( http://carolfitai.com/ ) Cardiovascular optimized logic stationary bike for a highly effective eight-minute workout
* Male Optimization Formula with Organs (MOFO): ( http://bradkearns.com/mofo ) Optimize testosterone naturally with 100% grassfed animal organ supplement
* Perfect Keto: ( http://perfectketo.com/ ) The cleanest, purest, most potent ketone supplements and snacks
* LetsGetChecked ( http://lgc.com/brad ) : At-home medical testing with great prices, quick results, and no hassles
* Vuori Activewear: ( http://vuori.com/ ) The most comfortable, functional, and fashionable gear, evoking the chill SoCal coastal lifestyle
*Donations* ! ( https://app.redcircle.com/shows/db49934a-7fb1-4002-b81a-c97adbb869a6/donations )
This free podcast offering is a team effort from Brad, Daniel, Siena, Gail, TJ, Vuk, RedCircle, our awesome guests, and our incredibly cool advertising partners. We are now poised and proud to *double dip* by both soliciting a donation ( https://app.redcircle.com/shows/db49934a-7fb1-4002-b81a-c97adbb869a6/donations ) and having you listen to ads! If you wanna cough up a few bucks to salute the show, we really appreciate it and will use the funds wisely for continued excellence. Go big (whatever that means to you…) and we’ll send you a free jar of Brad’s Macadamia Masterpiece ( http://bradventures.com/ ) as a thank you! Email ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) to alert us! Choose to donate now ( https://app.redcircle.com/shows/db49934a-7fb1-4002-b81a-c97adbb869a6/donations ) , later ( https://app.redcircle.com/shows/db49934a-7fb1-4002-…