Apr 25, 2023
A Conversation on Commodification
Episode 139: A Conversation on Commodification with business owners Jon Ray, Dawn Sardinas and Francisco Serna
Arash is joined by a group of talented business owners who are passionate and active contributors to the Burning Man community. Entrepreneurs Jon Ray, Dawn Sardinas, and Francisco Serna share their perspectives and reflections on how to balance thriving in their respective businesses while upholding the ten principles of Burning Man. This roundtable discussion offers tips and reflections on how to integrate these two important aspects of life while staying true to oneself.
Episode 139 also features a Deep House Yoga set from a friend and supporter of the Burner Podcast team, Kennos. The DJ set recording, which took place at Miki Beach during Burning Man 2016, is a captivating mix of percussion and flowing energy that will transport you back to a late morning on the playa.
Don't miss this fun and inspiring episode that offers practical tips and wisdom on how to pursue professional goals while staying true to the principles of being a good burner.
A lot of links for this episode!
* This episode was recorded at Mid Century Store, owned by Blake and Dan Reeves. Dan was the lead artist of The Journey Project and served on the SDCAP board. He also appeared on episodes 59 and 123 of this podcast.
* Mid Century Store, owned by Blake Macaluso and Dan Reeves: https://www.midcenturystore.com/
* The Journey Project: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=887157681432583
* Burner Podcast episodes with Dan: http://www.burnerpodcast.com/previous-episodes/category/dan-reeves
* Paint Green: Jon Ray's business, Paint Green, is a local San Diego company that provides environmentally safe painting services.
* Previous Burner Podcast episode featuring Jon Ray: http://www.burnerpodcast.com/previous-episodes/episode-46-the-road-to-youtopia
* Outfits and Oddities: Check out the Outfits and Oddities Facebook page for some wild fashion inspiration.
* The Punkin Project: Dawn Sardinas, along with her partner Wylie, created The Punkin Project, which features a 15+ passenger 4WD steampunk pumpkin stagecoach with rock crawler suspension.
* SD Fabrication Solutions: Check out Wylie Weldy's business, SD Fabrication Solutions. Yes, his name is really Wylie Weldy.
* Dome Asylum - Dawn and Wylie’s property in Ramona, CA
* "Phoenix Syndrome" photography show, which show supported by Dan Reeves and Blake Macaluso.
* And Arash's own freelance photography gig, an example of business referred through the community:
* Kennos Soundcloud page featuring the set played in this episode: https://soundcloud.com/earofkennos/mikimau-deep-house-yoga
* The massive photo of Kennos referenced was a part of the Black Burner Project by visionary artist Erin Douglas
* Miki Beach: https://soundcloud.com/mikimaumusic and https://www.mikimaumusic.com/
* Miki Beach: Finally, we'd like to give a shoutout to Miki Beach, who provided the location for Kennos' Deep House Yoga set. Check out their Soundcloud page for some more amazing music.
* And finally… The video of Master Dawn Sardinas breaking boards in high heels back when she was a taekwondo instructor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msLnmAGbNL4
"A joy, a depression, a meanness, some momentary awareness comes as an unexpected visitor. Welcome and entertain them all"
Hosted by (mr)Arash, the original Burner Podcast is the longest running traditional audio podcast in the extended international community of Burning Man. Independently produced and focused on burner consciousness and topics of intracultural interest, explore over 130 previous episodes at burnerpodcast.com/previous-episodes.
Burner Podcast host Arash Afshar is an Iranian-American SoCal-based professional photographer and founder of Justified Hype creative collective. Receive monthly very personally written email blasts from him or reach out directly at mrarash.com/hello.
Burner Podcast is produced by Arash and a rotating team of burners including instagram.com/muloka, instagram.com/lolmonday and instagram.com/leehemingway among others.
Follow instagram.com/BurnerPodcast and facebook.com/burnerpodcast for wildly irregular updates.