If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon.
Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Friday 10th September. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don't have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com
for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
TESLA MODEL Y LANDS IN NETHERLANDS IN 30% PLUGIN SHARE MONTH
- The Dutch plugin vehicle (PEV) market continues in the fast lane, with 6,637 plugin registrations logged last month. That meant that last month’s PEV share of the overall passenger auto market reached 30% (20% BEV), pulling the year-to-date PEV share to 22% (12% BEV) and the total tally to 45,426 units
- In August, the plugin sales leader was again the Kia Niro EV, with 753 registrations, placing it as the leader in the overall auto market. The runner-up was the Skoda Enyaq, with the Czech station-wagon-disguised-as-a-crossover registering 487 units.
- BEVs are returning to form, getting 66% of August’s registrations.
TESLA PLANS ENERGY TRADING TEAM AS COMPANY EXPANDS BATTERY PROJECTS
- Electric vehicle maker Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) is looking to staff an energy trading team to support its battery and renewable power projects, according to Tesla's website and an employee post on the career site LinkedIn.com
- The company plans to use an in-house automated trading platform, called Autobidder, for "bidding batteries into multiple wholesale energy markets," according to the job description on Tesla's website.
- The job requires expertise in wholesale electricity markets, and the candidate will "lead trading and real-time operations for battery, solar, and wind projects participating in wholesale energy markets," using Autobidder, according to the job posting.
WHY RIVIAN’S "TANK TURN" STATIONARY SPIN FEATURE IS DELAYED
- First, unless conditions are perfect, it's possible each wheel will have a different amount of grip than the others and require more or less power to break traction. While the truck's computer can read the road surface via suspension inputs as you're driving, there's no good way for it to know exactly what the surface under each tire is like when you come to a stop. If any wheel is getting too much or too little power during a Tank Turn, it can cause the vehicle to spin off in a random direction instead of rotating in one place. Power delivery has to be programmed very carefully to respond to changing grip before and during a Tank Turn. You can see this issue crop up right at the beginning of the video.
- because the truck's wheelbase isn't square (that is, because there's more distance between the front and rear axles than there is between the wheels on either side of each axle), it won't always rotate around the exact center of the vehicle, especially if the surface isn't consistent. If the point of rotation is off center, it can cause the vehicle to spin off in any direction instead of rotating in one place. A safeguard needs to be programmed to recognize this situation and either correct it or end the Tank Turn.
- In order to execute a Tank Turn, all four wheels have to break traction. Once that happens, the truck is at the mercy of physics. If the surface is inclined in any direction, the truck will slide that direction as it spins.
- During testing, Rivian discovered the amount of power needed to get all four wheels spinning results in a lot of wheel speed, which ends up making the truck spin around very fast. From inside the truck, it's a hell of a ride, so much so there's concern it'll scare drivers who aren't ready for it
MERCEDES-BENZ’S MAYBACH EV CONCEPT HELPS THE RICH FEEL EVEN BETTER ABOUT THEMSELVES
- Mercedes-Benz has shown off the electric Maybach EQS, an opulent concept car that the company says is a preview of what the future of high-end electric cars may look like. The company revealed the EV SUV at the IAA Mobility show, where it also announced a G-Class SUV concept, and a more attainable electric sedan.
- Mercedes says the interior is supposed to remind you of a yacht, and the SUV has something called a “Chauffeur package.”
- Mercedes calls the concept “a clear preview of the first fully electric series-production model” in the Maybach line, and the company already has an EV platform kicking around that it could put to use. It’s not a subtle car, so I’m sure it won’t be hard to miss when something like it eventually hits the road
VOLVO'S ELECTRIC XC40 RECHARGE ALREADY SOLD OUT IN AUSTRALIA, WITH "HUNDREDS" ON ORDER
- The first allocation in Australia of the all-electric Volvo XC40 Recharge is already exhausted, Volvo has confirmed with The Driven.
- “The entire initial allocation of hundreds is spoken for,” Volvo’s spokesperson told The Driven in a note. However, those wanting to place orders will still be able to sit behind the wheel by early 2022.
“New orders placed from today are planned for arrival during February 2022,” they added.
- The XC40 Recharge is offered in only one configuration, with a predicted 418km driving range from its 78kWh battery and a plethora of Volvo safety systems.
NYC DOT LOOKS TO BUILD ONE OF THE LARGEST EV CHARGING NETWORKS IN THE US
- The New York City Department of Transportation (NYC DOT) recently shared extensive plans to support the influx of EVs in the area by deploying four DC fast chargers as part of its city-operated fast-charging network. With nearly 50,000 chargers planned by 2030 as part of an ambitious plan, NYC’s government looks to build one of the largest municipal charging networks in the country.
- Governor Kathy Hochul (D-NY) has signed new legislation to support the state’s efforts outlined below. The legislation sets a new goal for all new passenger cars and trucks sold in New York State to be zero emissions by 2035.
- In a recent release from the NYPA alongside the NYC DOT and EVconnect, the group has successfully installed four of 28 planned DC fast charging plugs within city-owned municipal garages. The initial goal for this city-owned and operated charging network is 80 plugs by 2025.
- The recently shared plan outlines ambitious, city-wide climate goals for the next decade, citing that NYC will need 400,000 drivers to switch to EVs by 2030 and will work to provide the charging infrastructure to support them.
UNIONS MIGHT HAMPER THE MOVE TO ZERO EMISSIONS
- President Joe Biden wants to corner the market on electric vehicles. In August, he announced a target that by 2030, half of the vehicles sold in the United States will be battery electric, fuel-cell electric or plug-in hybrid. It would be a seismic shift for an auto industry dominated by gas-powered vehicles. But resistance to Biden's ambitious goal is coming from a surprising stakeholder: the United Autoworkers Union, one of Biden's oldest political allies.
- There are tens of thousands of auto workers in Indiana, Michigan and Ohio involved in producing internal combustion engines, Wayne State University professor and UAW labor expert Marick Masters told CNN. With many fewer parts to electric vehicles and less labor required, there are natural questions about what impact the transition could have on jobs.
- Union leaders told CNN they recognize an ally in Biden and have praised the president's pro-union rhetoric. For now, they are relying on Biden's and Congressional Democrats' word that they'll attempt to boost union-made cars with tax credits — something that is far from guaranteed.
RENAULT WANTS TO PROLONG THE FOSSIL FUEL ERA
CUPRA LAUNCHES NEW EV&ME APP
OCTOPUS ENERGY’S ELECTRIC JUICE NETWORK HITS 100,000 CHARGERS MILESTONE
FREMONT PD BRINGS ON TESLA MODEL Y AS PATROL VEHICLE TO SAVE TAXPAYERS
HOW ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING SITES CAN BENEFIT FARMERS
APPLE WATCH EXEC TAKES OVER SECRETIVE CAR PROJECT
IAA mobility show is this week. The most headline grabbing cars from the big names will get the headlines, but do YOU think needs electrifying to fill a gap in the market?
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK
– FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK