"There are theories and there is truth. And this is the truth at last."
What happened to Amelia Earhart & Fred Noonan? Were they simply lost at sea like the United States government claimed, or did they fly to Nikumaroro or maybe reverse course just over their halfway point to Buka? As of part 13’s release, we’ve just passed the 82nd year since their vanishing and still; we’re no closer to the truth. In the early 1960’s CBS correspondent Fred Goerner began digging. In what turned into an exhaustive pursuit of the truth, Goerner’s search turned over information that the world wasn’t ready to believe. Sometimes, you don’t have to go out looking for a story.
As tips began pouring in, Goerner summarized that the idea of Amelia Earhart and Fred Noonan being in the hands of the Japanese might be much more than an alternative explanation.
After his investigation was over, and he’d immersed himself in the story and talked to dozens and dozens of witnesses, Fred Goerner published “The Search for Amelia Earhart” which became a national best seller sitting on the New York Times best seller list for 6 months; a feat not repeated since. For Goerner there was no mystery. There was only the truth.
Tonight, we’ll hear from over 25 of the documented eyewitnesses throughout the Marshall Islands, Saipan and the United States military that were stationed there. All of this leads to a single important question. Is the Japanese capture hypothesis truly “the truth at last”?
The time has come. The most requested piece of our trial is upon us. It’s time to hear witnesses, evidence and experts for Japanese capture.
- Smith & Vinson's Official Website
- Jennifer Taylor @ Smith & Vinson
- Jennifer Taylor on Twitter
- Smith & Vinson on Twitter
- Smith & Vinson on Facebook
"Vanished: Amelia Earhart" was recorded in its entirety by the Zoom H1N microphone. Get yours here.
- A very special thank you to Mike Campbell for advising on tonight's show.
- A special thank you to the ladies of "Do You Even Podcast" for recording tonight's exit script.
- 1001 Heroes, Legends, Histories & Mysteries Podcast
- Rob Ellos @ Mike Campbell's Blog
- Project’s Exhibit 1: "The Jaluit Dock Photo"
- Project’s Exhibit 2: "The Message in a Bottle"
ADDITIONAL SHOW NOTES
- Mike Campbell's Blog
- Jon Hagadorn & Mike Campbell at 1001 Heroes, Legends Histories & Mysteries Part 1 & 2
- Amelia Earhart: The Lost Evidence @ YouTube
- “Earhart’s Electra” Film Trailer from Rich Martini (featuring video testimony from Robert Wallack, Julious Nabers, Bilimon Amaron and more.
- All about Garapan Prison @ Mike Campbell’s Blog
Radio Logs from the Coast Guard
- ONI report @ Mike Campbell’s Blog