#Millennial: Pretend Adulting, Real Talk
5: LA Romance, Oscars Review, Too Many Emoji, Cameo
Feb 11, 2020 · 1 hr 30 min
Got primary season hangover already? Don't worry, we've got you, fam.
- What happened while we were on break? Caucuses, acquittals, and viruses, oh my!
- While we've been off, Andrew has had a brief love affair with LA, Laura has delayed filing her taxes (fight the power), and Pam learned some of the legalities behind scattering human remains in public.
- The Oscars can't seem to stop its bleeding viewership problem, but this year represented a few positive shifts: the first time a foreign language film won Best Picture (Parasite), first time a female conductor led the Best Score ensemble, and the films that were expected to "win big" didn't take home as many awards as anticipated.
- Iowa: WTF happened, and why do we still place so much emphasis on it?
- With Sanders and Buttigieg getting so much press, are we looking at our two frontrunners?
- The Unicode Consortium has finished 62 new emoji that will roll out later this year. We're excited about the trans flag, crying while smiling, and disguised faces, and less so about the flatbread and the rock (wtf?).
- Speaking of WTF, check out some of the celebrity offerings on Cameo. We browse (and gasp) at the prices people are willing to pay for a 60 second video from B-list celebs.
- A confessional from a listener in an interracial relationship prompts a discussion about what it's like to be in any kind of non-homogenous relationship in the current political climate.
- This week's recommendations should thaw your heart and soul: Funko Hollywood (Andrew), Ivy's Tea (Laura), and 'The Good Place' (Pam).
- This week's episode is sponsored by ZipRecruiter (https://www.ziprecruiter.com/millennial to try ZipRecruiter for FREE), BioClarity (https://www.bioclarity.com and enter promo code MIL for 15% off everything on their website), Stamps.com (https://www.stamps.com and enter promo code MILL for a 4 week trial PLUS free postage AND a digital scale without any longterm commitment), and HoneyBook (https://www.tryhoneybook.com/MILL for 50% off your first year). Support #Millennial by supporting our sponsors!
And in this week's installment of After Dark, this week available to all Patrons:
- We attempt to Surprise Bitch! listener Kody, and get Surprise Bitched! in return.
- In the wake of Kobe Bryant's death and new developments in the Johnny Depp/Amber Heard saga, we revisit the topic of cancel culture.
- When is it appropriate to cancel someone? When does cancel culture do more harm than good?
- Andrew gets a surprise invitation from a prominent LA comedian.