Alyssa Ackerman (@alyrose15 on Instagram) is a Michigan native with a passion for travel and studying humans. From the road, she’s a Digital Marketing consultant, content creator, yogi, hiker, and photographer.
In January 2016, Alyssa headed out in a DIY van to explore the United States. She converted her vehicle into a fully functioning unit including DIY sink build, storage shelf and table, cushions and curtains, extending couch and bed, (even) a solar panel installation. She created an entire DIY section on her website.
Alyssa also brought her marketing strategy and social media skills along on the road. Instead of traveling like a tourist, she decided to tell stories. Not just her own, but others' as well along the way.
(Timestamps are approximate):
- [02:40] Who is Alyssa Ackerman?
- [03:18] What triggered Alyssa to start such an adventure?
- [08:20] How is Alyssa journaling her experience?
- [12:00] Who are the people that Alyssa visits/networks with?
- [14:53] What are the most interesting interactions with Alyssa’s network/followers/family?
- [18:20] How is Alyssa trading of financial stability and spiritual freedom?
- [22:57] Alyssa’s comments about freelancing and the new world trends in working remotely.
- [24:41] How is Alyssa dealing with nutrition and health while on the road? (She wrote this article for MindBodyGreen)
- [32:12] How did Alyssa handled the transition to ‘solo-travel-time’?
- [35:40] How does Alyssa deals with emotional challenges?
- [38:01] How to spot a safe place to park/sleep in an unfamiliar place?
- [40:55] Alyssa speaks to the use of technology to fight loneliness
- [43:55] Personal finance on the road
- [45:40] How does Alyssa spend her 'free time'?
- [51:20] Alyssa’s comments about the future.
- My family is happiest when I am not posting, because it means I am living and not thinking about capturing and sharing for other people.
- One major thing (this trip) helped me learn is to be intentional about my social circles. It helped contextualizing it.
- The biggest financial mindshift is simply that I can live with A LOT less...
- I’m not so focused on saving more, but I’m learning how to spend very little and that will continue to
Send in a voice message: https://anchor.fm/feisworld/message
Support this podcast: https://anchor.fm/feisworld/support