After announcing the first 1,000 downloads of the feisworld podcast in January 2015, a number of friends, guests and listeners reached out to me via Facebook, Twitter, emails and phone calls. They congratulated me on this significant milestone and urged me to continue my journey as a podcaster.
Caleb Brown, the first guest on the feisworld podcast, had requested to have me interviewed on my own show. To my surprise, he was not the only one and I had tabled this request for weeks before releasing this episode. Jade Longstaff, a colleague, mentioned my show in her message on Facebook of being aspired to embraced her inner artist-self. Julia Holloway, a guest from Ep. 13, had decided to create her own podcast this year. Ralph Peterson Jr. from Ep 14 and 15 has been using our podcast as part of his teaching materials at the Berklee School of Music.
I never felt more honored and blessed in my life.
How did I get there and why did start a podcast with no prior background in audio engineering, nor do I have a trained voice? This interview about me, my life, became an opportunity to ask myself these questions.
Three months after the release of the feisworld podcast, I have welcomed nearly 2,000 downloads and listeners from 40 countries.
Show Notes (Times Are Approximate):
- Why are we interviewing you (Fei) on your own podcast? [0:45]
- What are you working on as of now and before that? [1:30]
- What got your into podcasting? [3:30]
- What was your timeframe in setting up a podcast? What are some of the vendors you considered for hardware and software [5:30]
- What is the cost of setting up a podcast? [8:30]
- Podcasting is about "my truth and their truth". [13:30]
- What are some of the industries, trends, surprises you've discovered so far? [18:30]
- How long does it take to produce an episode? [23:30]
- What has resonated with you and what have you learned podcasting? [27:00]
- Sung and unsung heroes as guests on feisworld podcast [33:30]
- What have you learned and what are some of shifts in perspective, changes in how you approach your interviews? [36:00]
- How should someone approach podcasting, or any hobby and interest? [40:30]
- What do you find most interesting/exciting to learn about other people's stories? [47:30]
- How can someone participate or become a guest on the feisworld podcast? [52:00]
- Message from Fei for her guests on enjoying a good life, living with passion [54:00]
- Teaser content of a pre-recorded podcast interview with Fei's mom, master artist Xiang Li and why Fei wants to embrace female voices on her podcast [1:00:00]
Vendors (Podcast hosting, microphone, software, hardware):