Tom Seaborne is a fitness educator, author, marital artist and cyclist.
Tom has a Ph.D in exercise science. He was a member of the US. Taekwondo Team, and a National and International AAU Taekwondo Champion.
In addition to Taekwondo, Tom is an ESPN professional Karate Association full-contact karate winner. If there are avid cyclists who are listening to this podcast, it’s worth mentioning that Tom was the winner of RAAM Open West, and ranked top 10 in the 1990 Race Across America. Tom holds a National 12-hr record holder (229 miles), a 24-hr Texas State Cycling Champion (1740 miles in 7 days) and a Guinness World Indoor Cycling Record in 2009 (185 hours).
Besides competition, Tom appeared on a number of televisions and video series such as the QVC Fitness Expert. He also co-hosted the #1 rated infomercial 6 second abs, Fox Morning Show, Good Morning Texas, Stay Fit ABC, Inside Fitness - CBS National and many others.
Tom has authored over 200 articles and 16 books. You can find them on Amazon
What strikes me the most is not the endless list of Tom’s accomplishments as an athlete and an educator, but rather his openness, honesty, and willingness to flex, listen and learn. To learn more about Tom, please follow him on Facebook
Part 1 SHOW NOTES:
- On fitness: feeling vs. looking good: how do you aspire people to think or rethink this question? [05:30]
- A Day in the Life of Tom Seaborne [9:00]
- Fitness vs. Performance: Tom’s POV on training for Race Across America [10:00]
- Common mistakes students make during weight training [12:00]
- Tom’s fitness routine and why it is never one-size fits all when it comes to training [13:00]
- Fei’s fitness inspiration [17:00]
- Tom’s fitness inspiration [19:00]
- Inspiring young souls - story on O’Malley TKD Center [22:00]
- Tom’s thoughts on diet and supplements [25:30]
- In the US, we always want that one thing, but it’s really about a balance [28:30]
- Tom on metabolism and what you can do about it [30:30]
- Fatty acids, Vitamins, Creatine [36:00]
- Water: the most important element of all [39:00]
- Fitness of the Month Contest [41:30]
- The importance of progress and adaptation - Don’t do too much, too soon [43:30]
- "If you can’t do it for the rest of your life, there’s no point of doing it for one day.” [45:30]
- What does Tom do when he hits a physical or mental roadblock? [50:00]
- Tom’s advice on coping with disappointments and setbacks [53:30]
- On meditation, prayers and reaching enlightment [58:00]
- “We all need something to quiet down”- Tom’s constantly looking for ways to cultivate the mind and body experience [1:01:00]