In this episode, I am joined by Helen Peatfield who gave up her secure job in London and moved to Thailand. Not only was it a change in location, but also a change in career. Helen shares her story and we talk about her early working years, her big move to Thailand, and how she found her niche and shaped up her new career. She shares plenty of insights about a career in copywriting and generally, changing careers.
- When considering higher education, follow something that you are passionate about. Ideally, this will lead to greater career satisfaction and fulfilment
- Have a curious mind and don't stop learning. Keep developing by reading, completing courses, and networking
- Start listening to your customer/colleagues, show empathy, and ask "How can I help this person succeed?"
- When making changes in your life and career, think about pull versus push motivation. Sometimes with a push motivation, it is easy to keep looking back, rather than forward
- In your career, look ahead at those on the rungs above you and ask yourself the question, "Is this a role I aspire to?". This can help you determine what the right career path is
- If you are selling your services, don't believe your value is only the prices you see offered
- Find your tribe!
- In any career, don't be scared to look at the numbers. Research and analyse data to help you make decisions
- Don't be afraid of hard work
- Don't get stuck only reading the books. Get out there and practise your skills
- Stalk your ideal customer/employer (not in a creepy way) to learn more about them
- Reach out to your network for help and advice
Helen shared the following great resources:
Helen recommended the following books:
Connecting With Helen
Listeners can learn more about Helen and connect with her by visiting her LinkedIn page.
Support the show
Send in a voice message: https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/agile-career/message