In this episode, Peter Robinson joins me. Peter has more than 20 years of experience in the corporate world with recent roles as the Head of IT at Specsavers and the Head of Retail Applications at Dixons Carphone. Peter shares his experiences of entering the corporate world and how he grew alongside a growing organisation, before moving to an even larger organisation. He shares the challenges of delivering change in large organisations and how this ultimately led him to the realisation that working in a large organisation wasn't what he wanted to do.
Peter talks about deciding to join another corporate or go his own way. He shares his experiences of starting on his own and the says the advice that he gives to his 18-year-old daughter, starting her career, is the same advice he would have given to himself at that age.
- Striking a balance between business and IT skills is important and something that we should all look to achieve
- When addressing skills gaps, we don't need to become an expert in everything, we need to learn the right amount that will move us forward
- When presented with opportunities to learn something new or challenge yourself, grab those because you never know where they will lead you
- Don't underestimate the power of networking to help you learn new skills and push you out of your comfort zone
- Accept when you don't know things and don't be scared to ask for help
- To get the best out of everyone, you need to adapt your approach and make sure that you develop a personal touch to build relationships
- Take stock of your situation and how much you know - you'll be surprised. Use this to determine your worth.
- Empathy is important, but don't mistake this for sympathy. We still need to get the job done
- Round Table, and other service organisations, are a great way to build your skills and personal network
- When you are in a challenging situation, don't be scared and trust in yourself
- Learn to market yourself and live with being uncomfortable
- When you are at the start of your career, think about a change every five years
Peter recommends the following books:
Support the show
Connect with Peter
Listeners can connect with Peter by visiting the HITS Consultancy website or Peter's LinkedIn page.
Send in a voice message: https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/agile-career/message