My dad wrote a porno, startups and happiness, teaching kids about consent. - July 19, 2019
Thank you for subscribing to Smash Notes weekly.
You can find all the segments mentioned in this episode right here - Smash Notes - Top Podcasts for 2019 - Week 29
~ In this episode ~
* Why are people searching for porno and landing on Smash Notes? Turns out, there is a podcast called "My Dad Wrote A Porno" and it is hilarious. You have to listen to this week's episode of the Smash Notes podcast to get the juicy audio bites, but the gist is this - someone's dad wrote a really bad porn script and self-published it. The script is so awful, it's hilarious. Jamie, the son of a 60-year-old "movie" writer made a podcast about it.
* Will starting a company make you happy? Aline Lerner is the founder of Interviewing.io and she came on the Indie Hacker podcast to talk about her journey. Although startups can be hard and unpredictable, she said that at least it's a great distraction from feeling existentially purposeless.
* How long does it take to build a business? To each their own, but the founder of The Broke Backpacker spent nearly 10 years traveling the world until he took his business seriously and went from making $1,000 a month to over $200k every month. When there is a will, there is a way.
* How do you teach third-graders about consent? You don't! Just kidding. It turns out kids are curious for all kinds of knowledge and they are capable of discussing topics beyond what you might think is their limit. Although consent is typically associated with sex, it's not actually about sex, but a relationship between individuals and everyone's personal level of comfort. If you can find a way to discuss an otherwise taboo topic on an appropriate level, kids resonate and engage.
* Speaking of which, how can you engage a kid who otherwise doesn't want to learn? Easier that it might sound. The key is to use the concept of "cold calling." Take a look at this week's segments for an explanation of what it is, and how to use it the right way - Smash Notes - Top Podcasts for 2019 - Week 29
Multi-millionaire at 27. What I learned.
Sahil Lavingia on the meaning of life and everything
Submittable raises Series B
AD: Would you like to live forever? JETSON is a probiotic company that claims to give you superpowers. If you want to give it a try, get your $10 for free.