How do you go about writing a blog post? Here are the steps that I would recommend:
1. Find a Blog Topic: First, you need to identify the right blog topic to write about. There are 1 Billion blogs, one for every 7 individuals. That is way too many blogs. How do you stand out? There are some tools you can use to know what to write about.
2. Template / Structure for your post: There are different templates / structure that could work for you. These are proven templates used by most blogs that rank higher
3. Headline: The headline for your post is important. Most of the people will click on a link that takes them to your blog after reading the headline. It is advised that you spend a couple of hours on writing the headlines after you write the blog post. For consumer blogs, headlines such as X Reasons why, X Things you, X Ways, X Best work well whereas for B2B blogs, headlines such as the Future of, X Ways to, Need to know, In the world, X Things, The Top X get higher CTR%.
The headline should be at the max 12-18 words.
4. Compelling Introduction: After the headline, comes the introductory paragraph. Keep it simple and limit it to 4-7 lines at the max. Take the user to the core topic of your blog as soon as possible. Use the introductory paragraph to set a context and inform the user on what he is going to read.
5. Body: The body of the blog is where you have the meat of the content. For SEO purposes, it is advised that you make your blog as comprehensive as possible, which means including 1800-2100 words of text.
To make the blog readable use short paragraphs, sub-headings or sections heading and a font size greater than 15px. More importantly, be conversational. Write like you are talking to a friend who is sitting besides you.
To create a better impact, use visuals such as charts, screenshots, videos, infographics that juxtapose the text in your blog.
6. SEO: One of the reasons that you are producing blog content is to generate traffic from Search Engines. Here are some of the basics you need to follow: