Why should you podcast?
- The rise of audio & podcasting - 51% Americans have listened to a podcast atleast once. According to Statista, 90 million Americans have listened to a podcast in 2019. This case is true for China and other South East Asian countries too. I do not have stats about growth of podcasts in India
What should you speak about?
- Understand who is your target audience
- What's their broad area of interest
- Identify Topics & Sub-topics and list them down for future reference
- Competition Research - See which other podcasts exist in your niche and try to learn from them. What kind of content are they creating, how are they promoting their content etc.
- Setup a publishing calendar - Before you start recording a podcast you need to have a calendar in place to organize yourself. This will help in devising a marketing strategy for episodes you will be recording.
Recording your podcast
- Essential equipment for podcasting - phone, microphone, laptop,
- I record using a mobile phone with the Anchor.fm app
- Make sure you record the Intro & Conclusion segments first so that they can be used consistently across all other podcast episodes.
- I Interview guests using Zoom meetings
- Podcast Art - You need to have your podcast in a marketable condition. Create cover photo, episode art using Canva.
- You can also record video for YouTube / Facebook / Instagram and then extract the audio.
- You can also convert episode introduction snippet to video with wave forms & text sub-titles. Anchor.fm does this for segments < 1 minute
- Create website / blog pages for your podcast & SEO them
Editing your podcast
I do not edit my podcasts and mostly keep them impromptu. You can use some video / audio editing studio (VideoPad Video Editor) to edit your episode.
Hosting your podcast
- I host my podcast with LibSyn.com - Its a paid service at $6/mo.
- You can also host with Anchor.fm for free.
Distributing your podcast
- On Social Media channels - LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, Quora
- On Podcast sites - iTunes, Google Play, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, Stitcher, Spotify, Anchor.fm etc. This is done directly while I publish my podcast episode on LibSyn.
- Create Video for YouTube
- Use your guests to promote your podcast. Send them an email with links to the podcast and some promotional artwork that they can use on their social media channels.
- Email automation: Wordpress RSS feed & Mailchimp automation to send out emails to your contact database.
Monetizing your podcast
- You can look out for Advertising & Sponsorship opportunities
- Draft a sample letter to advertiser / sponsor before recording the episode with a topic in mind.
- Use affiliate marketing
- Sell your own products / services - Like I sometimes shamelessly promote Briefkase.in - my digital marketing agency co-founded with Purab