Nov 10, 2022
Episode #37 Mothers, Adult Sons & Empty Nesting (Guest: George Stahnke from Focus on the Family)
Episode #37 Mothers, Adult Sons & Empty Nesting
(Guest: George Stahnke from Focus on the Family)
As a son grows into a young man, he needs his mother’s love and, now, more than ever, her respect.
This respect needs to be unconditional.
We need to understand our son’s:
* masculine drives.
* their desire to achieve, provide and protect.
* and his need for friendship with us.
Listen in as Charlotte and George Stahnke from Focus on the Family discuss some key points from Dr. Emerson
Eggerichs’ new book entitled: Mother and Son – The Respect Effect.
Your son does want to connect with you, but on his own terms. “Men do not fear transparency,” says Eggerichs, “they
fear shame, disapproval or a lecture. They fear disrespect.”
Charlotte and George dive in to unveil helpful understandings of your son and his need for your respect to establish
deeper levels of trust in your relationship.
Listen in to hear how to do life “shoulder to shoulder” with your son and more.
Other topics discussed include:
* What to do when your son does not deserve respect.
* What to say during times of conflict.
* How to handle when your son is angry with you.
* How to honor their family unit.
* How our need to ask our son’s advice is important.
* Listen more than you talk.
* Let your son see that you have your own life.
* Affirm him and his dreams.
As we mothers believe in our sons and the person God made them to be, we can get through difficult seasons and enjoy
the blessings found in good times together.
Special thanks to George for his time and his own wise insight.
Remember… “the greatest of these is love.” 1 Corinth. 13:13.
To reach George Stahnke:
For countless resources from Focus on the Family:
To reach Charlotte: