Lessons from Implementing the PFA Process: Session 145 with The Consultants for Children
In Session 145, I speak with Deidre Sturm and Anne Denning from The Consultants for Children, an agency that supports individuals with ASD based out of Colorado.
Together, Anne and Deidre tell the story of how they completely revamped their agency’s approach to supporting individuals with problem behavior. After not seeing much success with their existing functional assessment practices, they dove deep into the work of Dr. Greg Hanley and his colleagues.
After taking all the online professional development that’s available on the IISCA or PFA approach, Deidre and Anne, along with the rest of their colleagues at The Consultants for Children, began slowly rolling out this process on an agency-wide basis.
During this conversation, we cover how they got started, what they’ve learned from implementing these procedures “in the real world” – especially in the context of telehealth – and lots more.
Here are the links to the resources we discuss:
* FTF Behavioral Consultants’ online course library (Patron discount available!).
* Greg’s companion website, Practical Functional Assessment.
* The IISCA App.
* Cusp Emergence University (Dr. Camille Kolu’s online training resources for Trauma Informed Care).
* CEU’s from The Behavioral Observation Podcast (Patron discount available!).
* Greg Hanley’s appearances on the BOP.
* Camille Kolu’s appearance on the BOP.
* WYZE Indoor Cameras (Amazon associate link).
* Children’s Habilitation Rehabilitation Program Waiver (CHRP; State of Colorado).
As an aside, an ad-free version show has already been shared with members of my Patreon group, which you can learn more about at patreon.com/behavioralobservations. Also, if you're a member of the All-Access Patron Tier or above, you have access to 20% discount codes to FTF's online trainings. There are more benefits available too, but this one alone is literally worth the cost on its own.
Session 145 is also brought to you with support from:
* Gateway Learning Group, and their Autism Leadership Academy. Designed for new Regional Directors, the Autism Leadership Academy develops motivated BCBAs into successful leaders in the autism field. If you’re interested in running your own regional center and want to learn the skills to do so successfully, check out gatewaylg.com/BOP. Note: Immediate openings available in Texas. BCBAs across the U.S. are encouraged to apply!
* HRIC Recruiting. Barb Voss has been placing BCBAs in permanent positions throughout the US for just about a decade, and has been in the business more generally for 30 years. When you work with HRIC, you work directly with Barb, thereby accessing highly personalized service. So if you're about to graduate, you're looking for a change of pace, or you just want to know if the grass really is greener on the other side, head over to HRIColorado.com to schedule a confidential chat right away.