In this episode, Ishpreet Gandhi, Founder & Managing Partner @Stride Ventures, joins our host Digjay, to talk about the rise of venture debt as a funding alternative for startups, specific use cases & benefits of venture debt to founders, how Stride Ventures differentiates itself from traditional venture debt firms & the outlook for venture debt in India.
Stride Ventures is a venture-debt fund focused on lending to growth-stage startups with investments in companies such as LetsTransport, Stellapps & Sugar Cosmetics. Ishpreet has over 13 years of experience encompassing Banking, Private Equity and Venture Capital. During his last stint as Regional Head (North & East) at IDFC Bank, he spearheaded startup business by initiating the lending business across Fintech, Consumer, Logistics and Agritech space. Ishpreet is an alum of Delhi University. You can reach out to him here on Linkedin / Twitter.
If you liked our episode, you can subscribe to our podcast on any of the major podcasting platforms like Spotify, Apple iTunes and Google Podcasts. Please leave us a review on Apple iTunes to help others discover this podcast. You can visit thevcpreneur.com and follow us on Twitter @thevcpreneur_ & Instagram @thevcpreneur for more episodes and interesting insights on the startup ecosystem. You can also follow our host Digjay on Linkedin & Twitter
Show notes –
1. (01:09) Ishpreet’s path leading upto venture capital; Starting Stride Ventures
2. (05:32) How Venture debt differs from typical bank loans?
3. (06:30) Key criteria & due diligence measures before lending to startups
4. (10:02) Venture debt use cases for startups
5. (14:12) Typical structure of venture debt deals
6. (16:45) How Stride Ventures adds value to startups beyond providing debt capital?
7. (21:12) Challenges of starting a Venture debt firm
8. (22:50) Why should LPs invest their money in Venture Debt?
9. (24:53) The outlook for Venture Debt in India
10. (28:32) Rapid fire and closing remarks