Hello and welcome to this week’s edition of the All Killer No Filler podcast where we hang out with the talented members of the Pilothouse agency to tease out the key insights, distinctions, and updates that you need to know to grow your DTC brand fast. My name’s Kyle Guilfoyle and today I’m super excited to be joined by Pilothouse co-founder Kyle Hitchcox as well as our in-house copywriting team Alora Bossy, Brad Knell, and David Franklin. Today we’re going to be nerding out about copy.
Subscribe to DTC Newsletter: https://directtoconsumer.co
- What is copy, anyway? And specifically, I’m curious how you explain it to ‘non-marketers’?
- We like to start episodes with a ‘value rocket’ by asking the question: what’s one thing about copywriting most people don’t know that they probably should?
- Why is copy important? // OR more interesting → Can you take me back to the time you realized copy was an important skill?
- What does it mean to be a conversion copywriter?
- I often think becoming a copywriter is kinda like learning a new language. How would you describe the evolution of, say, someone who knows nothing about copy to becoming a strong copywriter?
- Also New School vs. Old School → Brad and David have been at this game a loooong time, and Alora, while experienced, hasn’t been at it for -- how long have you guys been at it? -- 15-20 years (or however long it’s been)
- What steps do you recommend someone take to become a strong copywriter in the shortest amount of time?
- So the skill of copy kind of has ‘sub skills’ -- offers, hooks, stories, transitions, voice/tone, etc -- do you see copy similarly? If so, what do you think is the most important ‘sub skill’ to master first and why?
- How do you approach offers? What makes a winning offer?
- What are your all-time favourite copy tools and resources? Favourite copywriters?