Aug 30, 2022
According to analysis, 1 out of 4 Australians hold crypto assets and it's going to increase exponentially in the next few years and currently, not many of us in the accounting industry are knowledgeable about the booming digital asset world- we are getting overwhelmed! But as it's becoming a more popular source of wealth/income for all kinds of people nowadays, it's something that we need to delve into to give proper advice to our clients in need. How do we account for crypto? Is it taxable? Today, we will try to bridge the gap and ensure that accountants walk away knowing what they should be looking for.
This webinar is here to unpack what crypto is all about (not just for criminals or a fad – blockchain is here to stay) – something accountants need to get a handle on as many of their clients will be holding it, but with little guidance and a lot of confusion.
Our expert panel members today are: _Danny Talwar_ of _Koinly_, _Michael Bacina_ from _Piper Alderman_ and _Greg Valles_ of _Valles Accountants_
Here are the topics covered on this webinar:
* How our 3 guests got involved in cryptocurrency
* Why we should be paying attention to crypto now
* Common misconceptions when it comes to crypto and blockchain
* The concept of staking, coin wrapping and doxxing
* Scams and criminalities - the problem with anonymity
* Lay of the land when it comes to crypto & tax
* Taxing digital assets (crypto coins, NFT, staking etc…) - income vs capital, CGT issues etc…
* State of regulation right now, ATO Guidance & Board of Taxation Review
* Tax Controversy and protecting your clients
* Issues for Consumers, Accountants, Lawyers/Companies
* What are the issues at the moment – volatility, not fit for purposes, people being stung twice by staking – what are the alternatives?
* What are the various global approaches and how do they compare to Australia?
* What do accountants actually need to know?
* NFT’s, DAO's, DEFI and all the other acronyms you see
* _Cryptocurrency Investing For Dummies_