What a way to start 2023 with our first guest of the year - Sonia Gibson. She is a visionary accounting professional and the Founder of Accounting Heart - which is proudly an all female firm. We get a sneak peek of her accounting journey, her business acumen and her passion for finances and helping smaller businesses achieve their financial goals.
Listen in and to learn more about Sonia and some of the struggles she faced following her path as an accountant and how her commitment to the industry and her clients has helped her build a solid foundation of success.
Some of the topics we talked about are:
- Her inspiration and initial interest in accounting - how does one start?
- Commerce vs Public Practice - going back and forth and her early dream of becoming a Partner
- What would she have done differently and how much experience do you actually need to start your own practice?
- The things you learn as a partner and why she decided to go solo
- Do corporate values actually mean anything?
- Assessing client fees on a macro level and the struggles of charging fees effectively
- Benchmarking salaries and increases - how to make the numbers make sense.
- Reaching firm maturity, how long does it actually take?
- Comparison between solo practice and a multi-partner established firm
- Strategise and Build. The secret to a stable team and how improving staff relationships will help you in the long run
- Networking - Build build build!
- Importance of a good administrator/practice manager and a competent team
- Software talk - the beauty of automation
- Utilising people's values, making better decisions, and highlighting femininity
- Coaching - tips on how to find the right business coach for you and the great thing about reaching out
You can find out more about Sonia Gibson and her firm Accounting Heart from their website: https://www.accountingheart.com.au/
Michael Edelstein: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mobile: 0421 892 145