This week, we launch my conversation with Natalie Small & Javier Larco straight from Peru. Peru has a rich culture in surfing and a connection to Mama Cocha and Madre Tierra as healing sources.
The surf industry and surf tourism have introduced another side of surfing; a darker side is driven by consumerism and competition. Natalie and Javier are on a mission to realign the local surf culture with its roots. Their intention has deep roots in healing and connecting humanity by caring for all members of the community.
- Founder and executive director of Groundswell Community Project. Groundswell Community Project offers various surf therapy programs for self-identifying women overcoming various forms of trauma and its effects. They are a transformational community of surf sisters who provide intersectional, brave, and safe spaces for all self-identifying women to find their unique healing, community, and power in the waves of Mother Ocean.
- Also, a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist in California.
- Professional surfer and surf coach
- Has explored and surfed up and down the Peru coast, Ecuador, Mexico, California, Indonesia, and river surfed in Germany.
- He started his first surf school in 2003 in Las Delicias, was the surf coach for the Junior Pro Peru team 2016-2018, is the official Peru surf coach for Unleashed (Canada), Safari Surf Adventures (US), and Surf Adventures (Brazil), and now provides free coaching and adaptive surf therapy for local kids in Huanchaco.
- President of the Asociacion de Talentos Libertenos Del Surf and founded Surf Habilitados, a surf project providing surf therapy for local kids living with mental and physical disabilities and their families.
Social Media Profiles:
Groundswell Community Project:
- How do we realign surf culture with its roots?
- Is it surfing or humanity that needs to realign?
- Where did surfing take a wrong turn?
- Where did surfing go right?
- What are some things we can do to realign?
- What do you mean by heal and connect?
- How can therapy and surfing work together?
Location: Huanchaco, Peru
- - - - -
This podcast is produced by Derek Dodds, founder of Wave Tribe and lover of the sea.
For more info, email email@example.com
Send in a voice message: https://anchor.fm/wavetribe/message