Warning: this podcast is geared for investors who like numbers.
It is focused on some of the best lessons from Paul's favorite book on investing. The Matrix Book 2021 is 100 pages (8 1/2 x 14) almost entirely dedicated to listing the annual returns of dozens of asset class, some from 1926 to 2020 and others starting where records of those asset classes were first tracked. Those asset classes include U.S. and international large cap blend, large cap value, small cap blend, small cap value, commodities, short and long term U.S. and international corporate and government bonds and inflation. In most cases returns are listed for 1, 5, 10, 15, 20, 50 and 80 years.
1. How do the S&P 500 and Total Market Stock Indexes compare? 3:20
2. How have small cap blend (growth and value) and small cap value performed? 8:33
3. Not all indexes are the same. How do the Russell and DFA index construction and returns differ? 11:00
4. Have recent small cap and value return premiums been as good as the past? 17:00
5. How have international asset performed? 19:56
6. How have emerging market performed? 22:00
7. How have bonds performed for the past 20 and 80 years? 23:35
8. How has inflation impacted returns over the past 20, 50 and 80 years? 25:30
9. Are commodities a good hedge against inflation? 27:52
10. What is the best investment to protect against inflation? 30:40
11. Which return is the most meaningful, before or after inflation? 33:17
12. What are the most important lessons from The Matrix Book 2021? 42:13
This podcast is part of the educational offerings from The Merriman Financial Education Foundation, a registered 501(c)3. If you found value in this podcast, here are five ways to support the podcast and our foundation:
1) Leave a podcast review on your player of choice.
2) Sign up for our biweekly newsletter at PaulMerriman.com and receive a free pdf copy of We’re Talking Millions! 12 Ways to Supercharge Your Retirement.
3) Use our M1 Finance affiliate link to set up a brokerage account and use our portfolio suggestions. If you fund your account with a minimum of $1,000, our foundation will receive a one-time affiliate fee — at no cost to you — which helps support our financial education projects.
4) Buy our latest book, We’re Talking Millions! 12 Simple Ways To Supercharge Your Retirement available at Amazon and other online outlets.
5) Consider making a tax-deductible donation to the Foundation to support our mission to provide financial education to investors at all stages of life. Thank you!