Facebook purchased GIPHY for $400 million and Take Two purchased Dots for $200 million –– what do these two acquisitions have in common? Three things: both are 9-figure exits, both happened in 2020 and both were incubated by Paul Murphy. In this episode, we focus on Paul’s experience in incubating and growing Dots, a series of casual and highly addicting mobile games, towards their eventual sale, and Paul's subsequent transition to venture capital.
On this episode of the Startup Exits Podcast, we chat with Paul about:
• Incubating multiple startups at Betaworks
• Can pretty design be a value prop?
• Spending $10k on FB ads in 1 hour by accident
• Attempts at entering the Chinese market
• Moving from being a founder to VC investing
• Would Paul-the-VC invest in Paul-the-founder?
• What if the team is great but the idea is bad?
Paul Murphy is currently an investor at Northzone, an early-stage venture capital firm in London.
Startup Exits is brought to you by StartupSoft. New episodes every month, subscribe for more.