What ever happened to job security?
From the Great Resignation to mass layoffs, workers are struggling to find their fit in this ever-changing market.
To succeed, shift gears.
Focusing not on your next job but your career instead, you’ll gain the skills, network and experience to reach your most audacious goals — no matter where you work.
Certified Career Coach, Resume Strategist, Founder of WeApply and one of Canada’s Top 100 Black Women to Watch, Lissa Appiah shares how.
This episode is for you if:
You want to make a career change but don’t know where to start
You’re looking for work in a new country with different cultural norms
You’d like to grow your professional network
You want to get better at pitching yourself to employers
Looking for a specific gem?
- [3:50] What it means to “live between the hyphen”
- [6:55] Helping her parents as a teen shaped Lissa’s career
- [7:47] Undermined and overlooked: an immigrant experience in high school
- [10:50] Upgrade your mindset to build the life you want
- [13:38] Why advocating for yourself at work can be a cultural barrier
- [17:20] To make the right career move, make yours a targeted job search
- [18:05] Get crystal clear about what you want
- [21:56] The anatomy of a cold pitch (that they’ll actually reply to)
- [25:15] Does job security really exist?
- [26:50] Your career is a body of work that evolves with you
- [29:11] Align what you offer with what the market needs today
- [31:40] How can employers retain talent?
- [38:08] Steal this: Lissa’s strategy for prioritising personal development
- [40:45] Losing money on coaches taught Lissa what not to do in her business
- [44:00] “I can do hard things,” from networking as an introvert to building a business alone
- [46:00] What does AI mean for the coaching industry?
Connect with Lissa
Connect with Naomi