When the calendar flipped to 2021, a lot of us felt relief. We made it through a challenging year, and, finally, it seemed like there was a light at the end of the tunnel. Well, friends, while things are getting better, nothing’s magically changed yet. It can be hard to find joy when it all feels the same.
That’s why I’ve asked my dear friend, Shaunti Feldhahn, to join me on the show today. Shaunti is my favorite social research, and I’m forever wowed by her ability to combine scripture with good, factual data.
She takes us on a journey through what science and scripture say about finding joy, recognizing when we need to trust God (spoiler: always), and how to find joy and happiness regardless of what’s going on around us.
In this episode, she helps us:
1. We're actually challenged by the fact that God says that joy is supposed to be the characteristic of the Christian, regardless of whether it's dark and cold or beautiful outside. 2. It's really astounding how God has created us. When we focus on the things that are worthy of gratitude, that emotion, that joy is one of the things that wells up inside us.
3. There is an interesting principle, about looking back, and remembering all the ways that God has been so faithful to us each time we've had a freak-out before and going ‘Oh yeah. Right.’
4. God never, ever promises us that there is going to be this constant overflowing of time, or provision, or energy. It's always that we have enough for that day, that moment, as long as we follow the shepherd.
Great things we discussed:
1. Shaunti Feldhahn
2. Find Joy: A Devotional Journey to Unshakable Wonder in an Uncertain World
3. Understanding Green Pastures
4. Francine Rivers: Mark of the Lion Series
5. Lord of The Rings
6. Gulu bags
8. Standing Strong
Hope you loved this episode! Be sure to subscribe in iTunes and slap some stars on a review! :)