Robotic sex, Alysia’s new film “Egg”, becoming and being “Fig” on Orange Is the New Black”, inhabiting a role and finding the comedy, returning to the same character with each new season, why producing roles is so important, and a tootsie roll you can drink? Plus an improv game makes new movies out of old one with “Recycled Movie Pitch”!
Actress/Producer Alysia Reiner (@alysiareiner) guests with hosts Marc Raco (@racomarc), Danielle Beckmann (@deebeck) and producer Elsie (@elsietheproducer) in the MouthMedia Network studio powered by Sennheiser. Recorded in front of a live audience.
Alysia is best known as “Fig”” on ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK for which she won a SAG award. Her dark-comedic feature about motherhood, EGG, premiered at Tribeca film festival 2018, and was released in January 2019. Reiner stars with Christina Hendricks and Anna Camp, and serves as a producer. She is passionately committed to protecting the environment (see livariclothing.com) and being a change maker for women.
In this episode:
- Danielle shares some nerd tips for anyone looking for an agreeable (robotic) date
- The case at CES this past year where a robotic sex toy had its award for innovation revoked for being “immoral,” and the gender biases in that industry
- Alysia’s new film, “Egg”
- The film’s 70% female cast and crew
- The approach they took to produce the film much like a play, following the script closely and shooting in a manner that allowed for longer takes
- The challenges as an actor and producer to prepare for shooting a film in this way
- A round of “Recycled Movie Pitch,” where we combine two movies that are in no way connected, and have to pitch that hypothetical film
- Alysia’s experience playing Fig on Orange Is the New Black, and navigating her character’s dramatic arc over the course of the show
- How Alysia’s personality and work ethic on set may have influenced her character’s arc from a stereotypically mean character to one with more depth
- Alysia’s belief that most people truly believe that they are doing their best and are trying to be a source of good, even if they may seem bad to others, and how that influenced her portrayal of Fig
- Staying true to a character’s role in the story or the specific scene, rather than trying to be funny or to steal scenes to show off your ability
- Alysia’s respect for comedians and comedy and why she’s still intimidated working with comedians she’s worked with for years
- The challenges of returning to a character like Fig each season after months of working on other projects and other characters
- How the makeup and costume design for Fig help her get in character, and which pieces Alysia would take home if she could
- Why Alysia takes pride in being called a character actor
- How Alysia’s notoriety has turned her daughter off from acting
- Why producing roles are so important to Alysia as a way of supporting more women working in the industry
- Plus, Elsie brings in a very bizarre seltzer for end of show food!
The post Alysia Reiner – “OITNB” and “Egg” Actress – #FIGALICIOUS appeared first on Funny People Talking Podcast.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.