What's it like to work in a professional improv theatre? Plus, illusions, an American Idol moment, pugs, an emotional press conference, performer relationships on and off stage, Boston vs. New York, and nostalgic TV. Vicki Hanes and Cavan Rogers, MainStage cast members of Improv Asylum in NYC, join Marc Raco, Danielle Beckmann, and producer Elsie.
In this episode:
- Danielle shares some book nerd facts for the readers out there
- Marc shares his experiences at the Museum of Illusions, and how we live in our own illusions day to day
- How American Idol has fueled people’s illusions and evolved over time
- Danielle’s experience meeting Donna Summer and Paula Abdul
- The upcoming The Jeffersons and All In The Family remake specials, and the tendency to bring back familiar franchises that shook things up in their time, but seem to be nostalgia vehicles
- Danielle and Vicki share their love for pugs
- A plea to the Comedy Gods to get Tina Fey on the show
- A round of “Emotional Press Conference,” where we shout out a question with an emotion and the improvisor has to answer with that emotion
- How Cavan and Vicki met, discovered improv, and how they came to be a part of Improv Asylum
- Cavan and Vicki's partnership as improvisors, and why their relationship on stage isn’t too different to how they interact offstage
- Finding structure in an improv environment that utilizes audience participation and other variables
- How Improv Asylum is structured, from the improv classes, to the house teams up to the NXT shows
- The experience of doing improv at Improv Asylum in New York compares to improv in Boston or Chicago
- Cavan and Vicki’s career highlights as performers
- Plus, Elsie brings in some smoky End of Show Food!
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.