367 Dr. David Perlmutter | Brain Wash: How To Create Mental Clarity & Detox Your Mind for Clearer Thinking
Social media really just locks people into a single frame of reference. In Brain Wash, we really call for this idea of rekindling cognitive empathy which is a function of the prefrontal cortex because the more we lock into the amygdala by being on social media that looks at just one perspective the more we don't get a good night's sleep, the more we eat inflammatory foods, the less we exercise, the less we engage in nature, and the less we meditate. - Dr. David Perlmutter
Get 15% off your CURED Nutrition order with the code WELLNESSFORCE
---> Get The Morning 21 System: A simple and powerful 21 minute system designed to give you more energy to let go of old weight and live life well.
JOIN THE FACEBOOK GROUP | *REVIEW THE PODCAST*
Wellness Force Radio Episode 367
Neurologist and New York Times Best Selling Author of Grain Brain, and Co-Author of his latest book, Brain Wash, Dr. David Perlmutter, returns to share which healthy habits create mental clarity, how to rewire the brain by offsetting inflammation, how social media blocks our cognitive empathy, what disconnection syndrome is and how to overcome it.
Do you find yourself always falling back into the same poor health habits?
Discover how to close the gap between knowing and actually doing the work to consistently create a healthier life for yourself.
ION*Biome Gut Health
*Get 15% off of your ION*Biome order with the code JOSH1KS
ION*Gut Health is a gut-strengthening, brain-boosting mineral supplement sourced from 60-million-year-old soil that naturally supports microbiome balance. The active ingredient, Terrahydrite®, has been shown to support the integrity of tight junctions in the gut lining, even in the face of damage from toxins such as glyphosate.
ION*Gut Health goes beyond other supplements to support your wellbeing at a foundational level. By laying that foundation with ION*Gut Health, you aren’t just supplementing; you're supporting. Keeping Your Gut Healthy
It’s a critical barrier to keep strong so that a vibrant microbiome can flourish. Good health depends entirely on gut health because a lot more than digestion happens in the gut. It’s also where proper immune system function begins and the majority of our neurotransmitters, such as serotonin, are created.
Say yes to ION*Gut Health and you are saying yes to optimal gut-brain connectivity and feel-good transmissions, protection from the toxins we face every day in our air, water, and food, immune function, digestive wellness, and supported gluten tolerance.
*Discount code cannot be applied to subscription orders
Listen To Episode 367 As Dr. David Perlmutter Uncovers:
[1:30] The Biggest Challenge Facing Physicians In A Modern World
* Brain Wash
* Dr. David Perlmutter
* Dr. Austin Perlmutter
* 086 Dr. David Perlmutter
* Grain Brain
* The GRAIN BRAIN Whole Life Plan | Dr. David Perlmutter
* CV19 Truth Series: Protecting Your Health Freedom
* M21 Wellness Guide
* What inspired him and his son to write their book, Brain Wash.
* Unpacking the biggest challenge facing doctors: Their patients not carrying out healthier lifestyle changes suggested by their physician.
* How the wiring of our brain has been sabotaged by the modern world to lock in and act impulsively.
* What we can do to tap into the prefrontal cortex to pause, be aware, and make decisions based on future consequences, empathy, and compassion.
[14:00] Do You Have Disconnection Syndrome?
* Why we don't have to be socially distant while in isolation and what we can do about it.
* What Disconnection Syndrome is and how we will feel more isolated and lonely the more we remain locked in the amygdala.
* The dire health consequences that occur because of Disconnection Syndrome.
* How focusing on shifting our mindset with the help of Brain Wash is directly related to enhancing immune function as well.
* Simple self-care practices you can do today for mental clarity and better health including good sleep, a healthier diet by lowering sugar and refined carb intake, re-exposing yourself to nature, and meditating.
* The epidemic of young Americans being severely unhealthy by being obese, diabetic, and having high blood sugar.
[21:00] How Social Media Blocks Our Cognitive Empathy
* How social media brands and apps are literally accosting us as they flood our bodies with chemicals.
* Why social media is anything but social as it creates antisocial behavior and breeds isolation.
* Breaking down what cognitive empathy is and how social media is working against it.
* What happens when we spend so much time in one corner of social media that it only caters to our views instead of exploring others.
* Eckhart Tolle
* How social media addiction is leading not only to the isolation of our thoughts but also harming our mental, physical, and emotional health.
* The Body Keeps The Score by Bessel van der Kolk
* How holding in trauma can increase our inner child's ability to be in control of our behavior and thought patterns rather than our actual adult, mature selves.
* What someone can do to shift their mindset when they have experienced trauma.
* The power of neuroplasticity as we strengthen the prefrontal cortex to help us weaken the traumatic pathways.
* Breaking down what an engram is and how we activate them with movement and how they impact our mood as well as decision making.
[29:00] Rewiring The Brain By Offsetting Inflammation
* Exploring what works directly against neuroplasticity and neurogenesis or the growth of new brain cells: Inflammation.
* What we can do to rewire our brains to offset inflammation by avoiding processed foods, simple carbs, bad fats, antibiotics, acid-blocking drugs, and non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs.
* Breaking down what lifestyle changes fan the flames of inflammation within the body including the biggest one: sleep.
* The recently discovered glymphatic system that releases the chemical, when we sleep deeply to "wash it" by getting rid of toxic accumulations and misfolded proteins.
* 125 Dr. Kirk Parsley
* Quantitative and Qualitative Assessment of Glymphatic Flux Using Evans Blue Albumin
* Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams by Dr. Matthew Walker
* How even 1 night of not getting restorative sleep shows higher levels of the amyloid protein that has been associated with Alzheimer's disease.
* 357 Robb Wolf
[34:00] How To Guard Your Sleep Each Night
* The simple truth that sleep is so important to our health that we need 7-8 hours of it each night.
* How to get to the bottom of why you're not getting a good night's sleep and what you can do to change that.
* Why there's nothing better for decision making than getting a good night's sleep.
* Their new project to take the best parts of Brain Wash to help doctors improve their patients' decision-making.
* Why 50-80% of the information and advice that doctors give to their patients ends up never being carried out and acted upon.
* Getting to the bottom of why so much of society isn't getting enough sleep each night and how we can change this by providing them the knowledge they need to encourage action.
* How Americans' attention was already being hijacked pre-COVID-19 as we spent an average 6+ hours a day in front of a screen.
* The impact of screen time as a distraction of not spending enough time moving, cooking healthy meals, sleeping, and spending quality time with other people.
* How reading constantly about COVID-19 is hijacking your attention even more, building greater fear, and keeping you from living a healthy lifestyle you love.
[43:00] The Healing Inner Work We Get To Do
* How the inner work and emotional intelligence quotient of healing our inner child relate to the strategies in Brain Wash.
* What you can do to make the most of COVID-19 to spend time focusi…