Week 1: Ditch the disguise (because diet culture is sneaky AF)
EVERY DAY, WE’RE SERVED UP THE POISON PUNCH THAT IS DIET CULTURE.
WHAT TO EAT AND HOW TO EXERCISE TO LOSE WEIGHT. WHICH BODIES ARE ACCEPTABLE, AND WHICH BODIES AREN’T. THIS DIET. THAT DIET. BODY SHAME. FASTING. MACRO TRACKING. MORE BODY SHAME.
And every holiday season, this poison punch gets spiked.
New year, new you? More like new you, same BS.
Spoiler alert: This poison punch isn’t going away any time soon.
So, we’ve created the antidote for it. BADASS LADY GANG, MEET ‘TIS THE SEASON TO DITCH DIET CULTURE.
It’s week one and today, Kayla and Kelly are talking about how to ditch the disguise (because diet culture is sneaky AF). THIS FREE 8-WEEK LONG COURSE WAS CREATED BY BADASS LADY GANG NYC CO-LEADER KAYLA REYNOLDS, MS TO EMPOWER YOU TO NAVIGATE THE HOLIDAY SEASON IN A WAY THAT'S TRULY HEALTHY -- MIND, BODY, SPIRIT -- NO PUNCH NECESSARY.
Every week we’ll explore a specific theme and equip you with concrete tools that you can use to jingle all the way to a memorable holiday.
Here’s how we’re going to break it down:
* Week 1: Ditch the disguise (because diet culture is sneaky AF)
* Week 2: Diet is a noun and food isn’t the enemy - let’s bust some myths
* Week 3: Detox your judgments… your liver and kidneys will do the rest
* Week 4: People suck!!! Dodge, duck, dip, dive, and dodge their projections
* Week 5: Breakthrough the shit - if you want different, you need to do different
* Week 6: Food isn’t medicine (and you consume way more than what you eat)
* Week 7: No one knows you like you do! How to listen to your body in a noisy world
* Week 8: What if self-love wasn’t the goal? Let’s start with self-care
And here’s what’s in store:
* A newsletter every MONDAY morning introducing the weekly theme, including journaling prompts and a challenge to put your knowledge into practice
* A NEW podcast episode released every MONDAY morning (via the Run, Selfie, Repeat podcast. Available wherever you love to listen to your favorite podcasts!)
* A Group Zoom call every WEDNESDAY 8:00 pm-9:00 pm ET (5:00 pm-6:00 pm PT) to discuss the weekly theme, and our experience with the journal prompt, challenge, and anything else that came up, in a safe space
* Journal prompts available in our private, online community ‘Tis the Season To Ditch Diet Culture group (CLICK HERE to join) and on the Badass Lady Gang Instagram page.
Whether this is the first time you’ve started to think about the ways in which diet culture has impacted you, whether you’re skeptical that ditching diet culture is possible, whether you’ve done every diet in the book and are ready to leave it all behind, or whether you’ve never fallen for the false promises of diet culture but are sick and tired of all the noise, this course is for you! This course is meant to meet you wherever you’re at in your journey towards ditching diet culture, reclaiming the word diet, and making peace with yourself and your body.
We want to make sure that this course is as valuable as possible for you, so we want to dedicate one to two of our weekly podcast episodes to answering your burning questions about diet, diet culture, nutrition, body shame, dealing with people, making peace with food, being kind to yourself, and anything else, really! We’ll also try to bring some of these questions to our group calls to help us have more meaningful discussions. To submit your questions, CLICK HERE to submit your question. MEET KAYLA REYNOLDS, MS
Kayla Reynolds is a late-twenty something New York City transplant, originally from Montreal, Canada, and the co-leader of Badass Lady Gang’s NYC chapter. When she’s not dancing with her BALG, she’s working on checking off walking every street of Manhattan by foot, exploring one neighborhood at a time, and determined to find NYC’s best cold brew and restaurants along the way. As a child and eventually teenager, Kayla joined every team sport imaginable, and cheerleading quickly became her passion. Growing up very active and also experiencing many digestive issues, she became interested in nutrition and the impact that food had on the way she felt and performed. Paired with her love of all things science, she eventually chose to move to NYC to pursue her Master of Science in Human Nutrition at Columbia University. It was there, alongside her own life experiences where she realized that the food that made it to our plates is only a sliver of the health equation. Over time, her passion for mental health and wellbeing grew, and she began to see our “diet” as more than just food, but everything that we consume -- social media, advertisement, relationships, self-talk, … and so much more. Now, when it comes to nutrition, she believes that our thoughts about food, our bodies, and ourselves impact us more than any one food we eat (or don’t), and that having a healthy, balanced, low-stress relationship with food is most important. Food doesn’t need to be so complicated. So, she’s dedicated to helping people ditch diet culture and lead full, fulfilling lives, which can’t happen on an empty stomach.
Click here to find the journal prompts on the Badass Lady Gang's Instagram
Click here to join our private group in our online community and find an invite to our weekly event