Apr 20, 2021
e071 - Motherhood Without Losing Your Cool ft. Shantelle Bisson
Welcome back to the show! This week, we have with us, Shantelle Bisson — an author, producer, parenting expert and regular contributor to Zoomer Magazine. She’s also the owner of Shantilly’s Place, a marina in Ontario’s Kawartha region. She has raised three fully functioning young adults and splits her time between the lake, Toronto and Los Angeles. At the age four, she was drawn to the stage like a moth to a flame, and spent all kinds of time working in television and film, which eventually led to writing, a natural transition when working in the show biz. She launched her book, Raising Your Kids Without Losing Your Cool — the first of many from the series! And we, at YGTMedia Co, are super excited to be launching the second part in the Without Losing Your Cool series.
Today’s episode does a deep dive in Shantelle’s world, her journey and how she came to be this powerhouse entrepreneur, wife, and mama that many see now. Spoiler alert—the glory is often within the grit and guts, and Shantelle’s journey is one that will leave you feeling inspired and empowered.
Many of us move through life, motherhood, relationships, and more on autopilot, almost mindlessly, day after day. Rarely do we pause with intention and ask ourselves the question — how do we want to lead? How do we want to live? And why?
Shantelle’s take on parenting is candid, refreshing, and gives every woman permission to own her motherhood with pride, sass, fun, love, and all the unapologetic vibes.
All of the “hoods”—motherhood, parenthood, adulthood, wifehood don’t happen in a predictable fashion. However, when they do come into our lives, it’s worth fighting for. And that is where commitment, radical responsibility for how you show up in your life, and love leadership comes into play.
Below are a few takeaways from today’s episode:
* You will have many moments where you question yourself on everything-- if you’re even cut out for love, marriage, parenthood. Listen to your gut, always. Don’t let the voice in your head win. You can end the cycle and rewrite the narrative.
* Parenting and marriage are not a one-size-fits-all formula. Embrace your relationships. Keep communication open always, and lead with love.
* It’s called real life, not reel-life. Live your life, Mama, beyond the highlight reel on social media. It won’t always be perfect, but it’s your beautiful chaos to embrace.
* Take time out to yourself, even if it’s 10 minutes here and there. Claim your moments of creativity, rest, fun, and more. Nobody’s going to hand it to you.
* Gratitude will always see you through. There’s a lesson in every hardship and heartbreak. Turn your mess into your blessings.
* Be the parent your child needs you to be, and the one you desire to be.
* Embrace your wholeness—your mood swings, your laughter, your grief, your anger. There is nothing normal about the world we are currently living in. It’s okay to feel how you feel. Give yourself permission to do just one thing a day, if that is all you can manage right now.
There you have it, Mamas! I hope you enjoyed listening to this episode! Stay tuned for more information on Shantelle's newest book at shantellebisson.com or connect with her on Instagram at @shantellebisson.
I hope you enjoyed listening to this episode as much as we enjoyed recording it! Please pay it forward to and share, share, share this episode and your takeaways on social media and tag us @ygtmedia.co #youvegotthismamapodcast. Subscribe + Rate + Leave us a review as it helps get our message get in front of more incredible women who need this.
Until next week!