Absolute Packer Podcast
APP #56 - We came, we saw, we Plundered!
Sep 15, 2019 · 1 hr 4 min
- The Packers are 2-0 to start the year AND 2-0 in the division...that is a very pleasant surprise!
- The Packers started this game on a break-neck pace offensively jumping out to a 21-0 lead on 3 straight TD drives, 2 passing and one rushing.
- While the Packers are 2-0, much of their early success has been because of their defense. The offense is maddeningly inconsistent and still needs a ton of work.
- This was the exact opposite start when compared to the previous game against the Bears where the Packers' offense had MINUS 17 yards of offense on their first 3 drives in that game(!)
- Everything on offense basically went away after the first quarter...there were stalled drives, poor play calling, turnovers, you name it and it happened from the 2nd quarter deep into the 4th quarter...
- The Packers' defense played pretty well, but they did give up a few big plays:
- Long rushing TD to Dalvin Cook on a really poor tackling angle taken by Darnell Savage
- Long TD pass to Stephon Diggs, the ball probably should've been intercepted by Jaire Alexander but it went right through his hands and into the waiting arms of Diggs for a TD.
- The Packers offense did their defense no favors by going 3 and out on almost every drive after the first quarter (It seemed they went 3 and out).
- ODDS & ENDS:
- Raven Greene was lost to season-ending IR
- There were like 3-4 OPI calls in this particular game, 3 of them on the Vikings alone with one call negating a touchdown - I don't recall seeing a game with that many of those types of calls on offense in a long, long time.
- Kirk Cousins is terrible - had the Vikings had competent QB play they win this game...Cousins missed 2 or 3 wide open throws and also threw an absolutely terrible INT on 1st and goal late in the game.
- The Packers offense has struggled for years on short-yardage situations - they are NOT a run-blocking offensive line but both MM and LeFleur seem to think that they can pound their RB into the line on 3rd-1 or 4th-1...it rarely if ever works.
- Jimmy Graham continues to be left alone to block defensive ends 1-on-1 for reasons that astound - he is a mediocre blocking TE at best, why oh why do they continue to ask him to single-block elite rushers?! Jimmy Graham has a huge cap number on this team and he is well past his prime - his contract makes no sense.
- LG Layne Taylor was pulled a few times to allow Elgton Jenkins some playing time - Taylor might not be long as the starter and for good reason...he is getting bulldozed way too much.
- Breaking: Sources: Steelers get DB Fitzpatrick from 'Fins
- Shout-out to MIKE JACQUART; author of "A Century of Excellence: 100 Greatest Packers Of All Time" book)
- We were going to bring Mike on, but we had some last-minute technical difficulties...
- A Century of Excellence: 100 Greatest Packers Of All Time" was self-published in May 2019. It was written by Mike Jacquart and designed by Shawn Williams. It is designed as an easy-to-read book for all types of Packers fans.
- In conjunction with the Packers' and now NFL's 100th season, A Century of Excellence: 100 Greatest Packers Of All Time features snapshots of the 100 greatest Packers ever, while also noting the accomplishments of other standout Packers, including unsung players, special team greats, and others. An A-Z list of nearly all Packers past-to-present, trivia, and other surprises are included!
- Buy on Amazon: https://amzn.to/2LYZfoL
- Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/mike100Packers