Korea24 – 2022.08.12. (Friday)
News Briefing: The Yoon Suk Yeol administration has announced Samsung’s Lee Jae-yong is among the list for the upcoming Liberation Day presidential pardons. Former President Lee Myung-bak has not been included. (Koo Hee-jin)
In-Depth News Analysis (Weekly Economy Review): The government announced plans this week to ease the financial burden on the public and combat inflation ahead of the Chuseok holiday. They include boosting stocks of key vegetables and fruits by up to one-point-four times the usual amount. Professor Yang Jun-suk from the Catholic University of Korea joins us in the studio to give his assessment of the measures, and reaction to the latest US inflation numbers.
Korea Trending with Walter Lee:
1. The South Korean police have announced plans to use a restraint belt, instead of rope, when transporting suspects being held in jail. ('밧줄 호송' 사라진다…경찰, 이달까지 '벨트 포승' 보급 마무리)
2. A quick-thinking bus driver in Seoul stopped a woman who appeared to be getting ready to jump off a bridge as he was driving on his route. (빗속 양화대교 난간에 올라선 시민…버스기사와 승객이 구조)
3. Star volleyball player Kim Yeon-koung could play her first game in Korea in 17 months this Saturday at the 2022 Korean Volleyball Federation Cup. (김연경, 13일 KOVO컵 개막전으로 국내 복귀 기대)
Movie Spotlight: Hot off the success of the smash hit series “Squid Game”, actor Lee Jung-jae’s directorial debut hit Korean theaters this week, “Hunt (헌트)”. Critics Jason Bechervaise and Darcy Paquet give their thoughts on the espionage-action movie, as well as a new Netflix action movie, “Carter (카터)” by director Jeong Byeong-gil.
Next Week From Seoul with Richard Larkin:
- Microsoft co-founder and philanthropist Bill Gates will visit South Korea from Monday and meet with President Yoon Suk Yeol.
- On Tuesday, the Korea Communications Commission (KCC) will launch an investigation into whether Google Play, Apple’s App Store, and ONE store violated the country's in-app payment laws.
- South Korea and the U.S. are set to start preliminary military drills from Tuesday ahead of their combined Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise later this month.