#100 - How To Choose The Best Protein Sources: Top 6 Questions To Ask Yourself
To learn more and apply to work one-on-one with Rachel, visit her website: https://www.metflexlife.com/
Join Rachel’s weekly newsletter: https://www.metflexlife.com/newsletter
In this episode, Rachel dives into six questions to ask yourself when it comes to protein sources, how to better understand protein quality, comparing plant proteins to animal proteins, complementary proteins, and much more!
"Just because you can combine incomplete plant protein sources to get complete proteins, it doesn't mean that they're now equal in quality and bioavailability to animal proteins." Rachel Gregory
* Can you explain the difference in the quality of protein in foods? I've noticed some nutrition content contains the number of grams of protein and a percentage and then some do not.
* What does ‘grams’ of protein mean when it comes to weight vs. composition?
* How to understand and ‘score’ protein on the bioavailability index scale a.k.a how easily your body breaks down and absorbs different protein sources
* Six questions to ask yourself when choosing protein
* Nutrient-dense foods: plants vs. animals and organ meats
* 90/10 Protein Rule and how to incorporate this into macro counting
* [0:00] Welcome back to MetFlex and Chill! We have reached 100 Episodes! Thank you!!
* [0:30] Today’s episode is all things protein!
* [1:30] Shout out to Ketobrick and Livesavage Apparel for being a MetFlex and Chill Podcast Sponsor for February!
* [2:30] If you’re interested in Ketobrick meal replacement bars or Livesavage Apparel check them out HERE!
* [3:30] Question: Can you explain the difference in the quality of protein in foods? I've noticed some nutrition content contains the number of grams of protein and a percentage and then some do not.
* [4:00] Amino Acids: Non Essential and Essential
* [6:30] Essential Amino Acids: leucine, isoleucine, and valine
* [7:00] #1 Is it a complete or incomplete protein?
* [9:00] Complementary proteins
* [9:30] #2 How bioavailable is this protein to my body?
* [14:00] #3 How calorie-dense is this protein source for the amount I’m getting?
* [21:00] Nutrient Density Chart
* [21:30] #5 Does the protein come from a whole food, quality source?
* [22:00] Whole vs. processed protein sources
* [26:30] Episode 43: All Things PROTEIN with Shawn Wells
* [27:00] Conventional vs. grass fed vs. grass finished protein
* [30:00] Wild caught vs. farm raised fish
* [33:00] #6 How much leucine does the protein source have?
* [37:30] Nose to tail and benefits to supplementing with collagen
* [39:30] Question: What does ‘grams’ of protein mean when it comes to weight vs. composition?
* [42:00] Thank you again to Ketobrick meal replacement bars or Livesavage Apparel for sponsoring February episodes! Check them out HERE!
* [42:30] If you're enjoying the show share it out by screenshotting an episode and tagging @rachelgregory.cns or leave a review on itunes to help grow the show!
THINGS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
* Thank you to Ketobrick and Livesavage Apparel for being a MetFlex and Chill Podcast Sponsor for February!
* The Ultimate Protein Cheat Sheet
* Nutrient Density Chart
* Episode 43: All Things PROTEIN with Shawn Wells
* It Takes Guts: A Meat-Eater's Guide to Eating Offal with over 75 Healthy and Delicious Nose-to-Tail Recipes
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).