As 2019 draws to a close, it seemed like a good time to celebrate our 10th TLPS podcast episode looking back on how the legal industry fared in terms of legaltech and innovation: What happened? What surprised us? What didn’t happen and maybe disappointed us? And, what should we watch for in 2020?
We were joined on this partly reflective and partly prospective journey by an amazing group of legaltech/innovation gurus: Caryn Sandler, Partner and Chief Knowledge and Innovation Officer at Gilbert & Tobin; Warrick McLean, CEO at Colman Grieg Lawyers; and Graeme Grovum, Principal at legal industry consultancy Alpha Creates.
Topics covered in our discussion included:
- What stood out in legaltech and innovation in 2019? And, how it showed up in law firm/legal department strategic priorities, Managing Partner/CEO agendas and industry research.
- What trends were expected or surprised the legal industry in 2019?
- What was the uptake of legaltech and innovation in law firms in 2019?
- Was uptake being driven by clients or a new level of skills/industry maturity or a discernible move towards a culture of continuous improvement or something else? And, how would that change in 2020?
- How did industry change support and shape new legal work and a new workforce profile in 2019? Was it redefining the definition of “team”? Would that continue in 2020?
- Did changes in work and the workforce in 2019 also change the way law firms worked with their clients e.g. in-house counsel and, vice versa?
- Where did Australia rate in the take up of legaltech/innovation in law firms on a scale of 1-5 (1 being little or none and 5 being we’re all over it)? And, where did that place Australia in the Asia-Pacific region?
- What were the big trends to look for in 2020 and, how should the legal industry prepare for them?
- And finally, would 2020 bring with it a new opportunity for optimism for legaltech/innovation, or something different?
Thank you Caryn, Warrick and Graeme for a wonderful conversation – we love your work!
And, all our friends around the world, thank you for your support in 2019, we can’t wait to be part of your lives again in 2020. Our very best wishes to you and your families for a restful, joyful and peaceful holiday season!