103: How to Teach Kids a Responsible Reading of the Bible w/ Pete Enns
You can tell a lot about people by their reaction to the Bible. That is what makes it so interesting as a sociological phenomenon. There are secular people who are largely ignorant of the Bible. Then there is the large spectrum of ways Christians engage with the Bible, from the literal inerrant folks to the infallible and liberal interpretations.
My guest today understands the varied kind of baggage that the Bible can carry for people. Pete Enns is a Bible scholar, a professor, the author of several amazing books about the Bible, and the host of the popular podcast The Bible for Normal People. I had the amazing honor of being a guest on that show back in August. In this episode, we are discussing how to teach about and discuss the Bible with our kids.
* Pete’s personal relationship with the Bible.
* Whether or not the Bible is appropriate for children.
* How children were viewed in Bible times.
* Age-appropriate ways to teach the context of Bible stories.
* Irresponsible ways of sharing the Bible with children.
* What needs to change in regards to our attitude about children.
* How understanding that you want to give your children power changes your approach to the Bible.
* Why biblical literacy is important even for secular people.
* How to raise our kids with resilience to prepare them for those who will contradict the way they learn the Bible.
Links (affiliates included):
My episode on The Bible for Normal People - https://peteenns.com/interview-with-cindy-wang-brandt-raising-children-in-the-faith/
Pete Enns website - https://peteenns.com
Pete’s Bible Curriculum for kids - https://amzn.to/2J0QBbV
Join us at the Parenting Forward Patreon Team -https://www.patreon.com/cindywangbrandt
Parenting Forward, the Book - https://amzn.to/3g0LJPn
If you like this podcast and are thinking of creating your own, consider talking to my producer, Danny Ozment.
He helps thought leaders, influencers, executives, HR professionals, recruiters, lawyers, realtors, bloggers, coaches, and authors create, launch, and produce podcasts that grow their business and impact the world.
Find out more at https://emeraldcitypro.com