#208 Sarah McQuade: The Most Important Skill to Improving as a Coach
This week on the Way of Champions Podcast we welcome Sarah McQuade, a developer of coaches. She is the Founding Director of e.t.c coaching consultants, an international Coach Development Consultancy practice, which specializes in building coaching systems, and the professional development of sports coaches and sports coach developers. She works with various national and international sports organizations and clients include the US Olympic Committee, United Soccer Coaches, Steel Sports and TB12 among others.
During our time together, we discuss the current state of coaching education, how do you build a development pathway for volunteer coaches, and The danger of bringing baggage from your playing career into your coaching career.
Highlights and great quotes from the this episode:
* The current state of coaching education
* How does a coach learn to recognize what they don't know?
* Is there a way to do coaching education across other sports?
* Where do you start with educating volunteer coaches?
* What does a coach development pathway look like?
* Why isn't empathy and emotional intelligence taught in coaching courses?
* Creating "needs based learning opportunities"
* Defining three levels of coach development
* Integrating self awareness in to coaching
* Defining your ideal practice
* The danger of bringing baggage from your playing career into your coaching career
* The importance of having someone who can help us navigate our development
* What should a coach do next?
More about Sarah McQuade
She has recently joined the USTA in what she describes as a ‘career-defining opportunity.’ She is delighted to be working within Player Development as a Senior Director leading the Accreditation and Certification of coaches to drive the quality coaching agenda for Tennis. You can email her at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow her on twitter @etcconsultants
Way of Champions Conference 2021
Registration Opens on March 1, and our first speakers will be announced a few days prior. We are going virtual this year, and have put together a lineup that is out of this world for our event August 21-22, 2021! Click here to be the first to know more about this great conference
Become a Podcast Champion!
Help Support the Podcast and get FREE access to ALL of our online courses. If you love the podcast, we would love for you to become a Podcast Champion, (https://www.patreon.com/wayofchampions) for as little as a cup of coffee per month (OK, its a Venti Mocha), to help us up the ante and provide even better interviews, better sound, and an overall enhanced experience. Plus, as a $10 per month Podcast Super-Champion, you will have access to never before released and bonus material, including:
* Downloadable transcripts of the podcasts, so you don't have to crash your car trying to take notes!
* A monthly discussion with John, James, Jerry, and other special guests talking about the previous month's episodes and answering some of the FAQs we received that month
* A code to get free access to our online course called "Coaching Mastery," usually a $97 course, but yours for free for becoming a patron.
* Access to an online community of coaches like you who are dedicated listeners of the podcast, and will be able to answer your questions and share their coaching experiences.
Thank you for all your support these past two years, and a special big thank you to all of you who become part of our inner circle, our patrons, who will enable us to take our podcast to the next level. https://www.patreon.com/wayofchampions