In today’s show, Pancham interviews real estate investor & operator Michael Flight.
As the virus has brought all businesses to a grinding halt, the one question on everyone’s mind is – is it really worth investing in retail real estate? Can retail real estate survive the ecommerce juggernaut? And, can you structure your retail real estate investment so that it is not only recession proof but also COVID-proof?
We attempt to answer these pressing questions in today’s show.
Additionally, you will learn about the different categories of retail real estate, red flags to watch out for, and the kinds of returns that you can expect to earn. This show will particularly interest those who are looking for alternatives to Wall Street investing.
We hope you enjoy this show!
- 01:00 – Are retail malls a thing of the past?
- 01:50 – Pancham welcomes Michael to the show
- 02:22 – Why is Michael dead against Wall Street investments? He shares his experience
- 04:02 – Michael shares his background information
- 05:04 – What are the different categories of retail real estate?
- 07:18 – Understanding the difference between a Net Lease, Double Net Lease (NN), and Triple Net Lease (NNN)
- 11:42 – Can you, as a retail investor work in a completely hands-off approach?
- 12:42 – Can you mitigate risk by passing off all variable expenses to the tenant?
- 14:17 – How are the retail malls classified?
- 15:31 – Key Success factors for retail real estate investing
- 17:42 – Red flags to watch out for
- 19:05 – Will certain businesses/tenants tarnish the appeal of your property?
- 21:27 – What kind of returns can you expect to earn from retail real estate investing?
- 24:43 – What is the future of brick and mortar retail considering the recent surge in online sales due to COVID-19?
- 31:37 – How is Michael pivoting in light of the recent situation?
- 35:40 - Taking the Leap Round
- 35:47 - When was the first time you started investing outside of the Wall Street?
- 37:05 - Can you share one investment that did not go as expected?
- 39:02 - What is one piece of advice that you would give to people who are thinking of investing on the Main Street?
- 40:39 – Michael shares his contact information
3 Key Points:
- Different categories in retail real estate
- Understanding the difference between a Net Lease, Double Net Lease (NN), and Triple Net Lease (NNN)
- Key Success factors for retail real estate investing
Get in Touch: