In today’s show, we are joined by Ryan Gibson, Chief Investment Officer, Spartan Investment Group. Ryan shares some excellent information about self-storage investing that will be particularly interesting to those who are looking for some good, alternative investing strategies.
We start this show with Ryan revealing the basics of self-storage investing. What is self-storage investing? And who are their target customers? Interestingly, Ryan reveals that 70% of his customers are women.
Ryan goes on to explain his due diligence process which is quite different from a typical real estate investment. What are some red flags that you should watch out for? And, how can you discover lucrative markets where competition is low?
Other topics discussed include different classifications of self-storage facilities, expected returns, and some practical tips for passive investors.
Tune in for some excellent insights!
3 Key Points:
- Understanding the basics of self-storage investing
- Different classification of self-storage facilities
- Why does a self-storage facility perform well during a recession?
Get in Touch:
- 02:10 - Pancham welcomes Ryan to the show
- 02:55 - How did Ryan get started in self-storage investing?
- 04:02 - Ryan explains his market selection process for self-storage investing
- 05:54 - Ryan shares his background information
- 07:04 - What is self-storage investing, and how do you many money from this asset class? Ryan explains in simple terms
- 08:03 - Why does a self-storage investment perform well during a recession?
- 10:12 - What kind of businesses required conditioned storage?
- 12:17 - Some red flags that you need to watch out for before investing in a self-storage unit
- 13:13 - Ryan explains how they at Spartan Investment conducts market feasibility studies
- 14:24 - Expert tips for passive investors who are considering the self-storage route
- 16:27 - Ryan explains how he analyzes rent/square foot while vetting a market opportunity
- 17:54 - Understanding the different classifications of self-storage facilities
- 17:54 - What is a Gen-One self-storage facility?
- 19:27 - Ryan reveals that 70% of his customers are women
- 20:23 - Gen - Two and Gen - Three self-storage facilities - Understanding the difference
- 21:22 - Is the self-storage industry on an upswing?
- 22:18 - Should you avoid entering over-saturated markets?
- 23:08 - Ryan explains how a high entry barrier can help you earn lucrative returns in certain markets
- 23:48 - What kind of returns can you earn from self-storage investing?
- 26:00 - Taking the Leap Round
- 26:11 - When was the first time you investing outside of the Wall Street?
- 26:56 - What fears did you have to overcome when you first invested outside of the Wall Street?
- 27:49 – Can you shared one investment that did not go as expected?
- 30:24 – What is one piece of advice that you would give to people who are thinking of investing on the Main Street?
- 32:15 - Ryan shares his contact information