An Event-Driven Apps Look Ahead for 2021
James Urquhart (@jamesurquhart, Global Field CTO @VMware, O’Reilly Author) talks about event-driven application architectures, how it's changing real-time business models, and technology stack driven the evolution.
*SHOW SPONSOR LINKS:*
* BMC Wants to Know if your business is on its A-Game
* BMC Autonomous Digital Enterprise
* Datadog Security Monitoring Homepage - Modern Monitoring and Analytics
* Try Datadog yourself by starting a free, 14-day trial today. Listeners of this podcast will also receive a free Datadog T-shirt.
* Okta - You should not be building your own Auth
* Learn how Okta helped Cengage improve student success rates during COVID.
*CLOUD NEWS OF THE WEEK *- http://bit.ly/cloudcast-cnotw
*CHECK OUT OUR NEW PODCAST - **"CLOUDCAST BASICS"*
* Flow Architectures - The Future of Event Streaming & Event-Driven Integration
* The Cloudcast Eps.43 - James Urquhart
* The Cloudcast Eps.344 - Bringing AI to the Edge (Swim.ai)
* The Cloudcast Eps.334 - The Future of Edge Computing (Derek Collison, Synadia)
*Topic 1 *- Welcome back to the show. We’ve known you for quite a while, going back to working together on very early Cloud stuff. You’ve always enjoyed being focused on complex, distributed systems. Tell us what you’re focused on these days.
*Topic 2 *- Let’s talk about this concept of “event-driven” and flow. Where did it come from, what does it do, why is it valuable to application designers? * *
*Topic 2a *- What is a “flow” and how is it related to event-driven?
*Topic 3 *- Events are data. We’ve had relational databases for data, and then we had NoSQL or eventually-consistent databases for data. Are events a new type of data, or a new way to deal with data in a different context? (channels, replays, etc.)
*Topic 4 *- Can we talk through an example of an event-driven application, or an event-driven integration between multiple organizations? How is it new/different? What unique capabilities does it bring now? (Kafka, IoT, API Gateways, etc.)
*Topic 5 *- Cloud made IT self-service. Serverless made Ops become on-demand. If I’m a business leader, what does event-driven give us?* *
*Topic 6 *- Where are we in the maturity of event-driven architectures? What might be some of the next stages coming in 2021 or 2022?
* Email: show at thecloudcast dot net
* Twitter: @thecloudcastnet