In this episode of YB2C Live! is keeping with the fall harvest theme of the month that focuses on entrepreneurs who plant, grow, and harvest food, flowers, and other natural items. Pam and Keith sit down with Jerry Hebron of Oakland Avenue Urban Farm.
Oakland Avenue Urban Farm is a non-profit, community-based organization that is focused on cultivating healthy foods and culture, as well as sustainability and engagement in the community.
- Originally in the real estate business, Jerry moved on to other endeavours after the economic crash in 2008. Soon enough, the Oakland Avenue Urban Farm was in the works.
- Oakland Avenue Urban Farm sprouted from Jerry and her mother’s concern for the community, which was riddled with drug and crime activity.
- Oakland Avenue, says Jerry, was depressing, and was the perfect location for an urban farming project.
- Jerry explains that with the help of organizations like the Greening of Detroit and Next Detroit Neighborhood Initiative among others, and along with a lot of help from friends in the community, Oakland Avenue Urban Farm was able to become a reality.
- Jerry talks bringing healthy products to a community with access to little beyond gas stations and liquor stores.
- There is a need for community development in the north end, says Jerry, as she gives a little historical background on the area.
- Oakland Avenue Urban Farm is a group of cultivators, they cultivate food, they cultivate people and they cultivate community.
- Jerry explains their newest project called “The North End Storytellers” that will work toward creating a conversation of future development and cultural cultivation in the north end.
For more information on Jerry Hebron and Oakland Avenue Urban Farm:
Visit their website! www.oaklandurbanfarm.org
Email Jerry Hebron! email@example.com
Give them a call! (313) 649-7756
9227 Goodwin St Detroit 48211
Be sure to visit us at www.yb2csystem.com
"Like" us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/YB2CLive/
Leave a review on iTunes: YB2C Live! on iTunes
YB2C Live! is recorded at Green Garage in Midtown Detroit: Green Garage Detroit