We brought friend of the show Lauren Schandevel back on to vent about and break down last week's college admissions scandal. Lauren (whom we interviewed back in Season 1) is a brilliant, working-class student at the University of Michigan and she has some thoughts about rich people buying and bribing their kids' way into elite colleges and universities.
Additional links/info below...
- Working People, Season 1, Episode 4, Lauren Schandevel
- Lauren's Twitter page
- Martin Slagter, MLive, "2 University of Michigan Students Help Create Nation's First Social Class & Inequality Minor"
- Scott Jaschick, Inside Higher Ed, "Massive Admissions Scandal"
- Nathan J. Robinson, The Guardian, "Meritocracy Is a Myth Invented by the Rich"
- The Chronicle of Higher Education continuing coverage of the admissions scandal, "Admission through the 'Side Door'"
- Malcolm Harris, NY Mag, "The College Admissions Ring Tells Us How Much Schoolwork Is Worth"
- Being Not-Rich at UM guide
- Jennifer Meer, The Michigan Daily, "University ranks last in economic mobility and diversity among elite public colleges"
- Gregor Aisch, Larry Buchanan, Amanda Cox, & Kevin Quealy, The New York Times, "Some Colleges Have More Students From the Top 1 Percent Than the Bottom 60. Find Yours"
Featured Music (all songs sourced from the Free Music Archive: freemusicarchive.org)
- Lobo Loco, "Malte Junior - Hall"