Romero Britto - Becoming the Most Licensed Artist in History with Happy Art
Today's guest is the world renowed Brazilian artist, Romero Britto, the founder of the Happy Art Movement. Romero has created a visual language of love, hope and happiness that blends Pop Art with Cubist-like abstraction to reflect his optimistic view of the world around him. He was self-taught from an early age, painting on scraps of paper or cardboard, before coming into his own and traveling to Paris where he was introduced to the works of Matisse and Picasso.
Britto’s work has been exhibited in galleries and museums in over 100 countries and he has created public art installations in almost every major city you can think of. He is considered the most licensed artist in history and is an activist for charitable organizations worldwide.
In this rare interview, Romero opens up and discusses his personal upbringing, parenting, and how he went from rough beginnings in Brazil to become one of the most successful artists of all time - all through art that makes people happy.
Listen as we discuss:
* The underemphasized responsibility of parenting, which is to love
* How there's no test for being a parent as there is a test for a driver's license
* His eight siblings, his parents, and his upbringing
* Romero's early shyness and how he grew into a public personality
* How the responsibility of a parent is their child's impact on the world
* Why Romero's art is so happy
* Dealing with the worst side of art - the business
* How his life is like a dream everyday
* Parents need to support children's interests so they can wake up feeling happy everyday
* How he comes up with so many ideas
* The root of his desire to give back and his activism
* His surprising stint in law school and the feelings of exclusion from the "rich kids"
* Romero's thoughts on slowing down
Connect with Romero Britto on Facebook @RomeroBrittoFanPage, Instagram @romerobritto, Twitter @brittopopart, and his website, britto.com
Don't forget to subscribe to Slo Mo for new episodes every Sunday and Thursday. Only with your help can we reach One Billion Happy #onebillionhappy